Dan Wulf

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Jerry Brown Solid 65lb
September 10, 2011, 09:30:13 PM
Are there anybody here who has experience with the solid version of Jerry Brown braid 65lb for popping?

Paulus (http://www.paulusjustfishing.com/4linetesting.htm) has tested this 6-strand braid to a breaking strength of 96.21lb (!). The diameter provided by JB (according to an European on-line shop) is 0.407mm. Whereas diameter (H x W) measured by Paulus was 0.360mm x 0.532mm (average: 0.466 mm).

In comparison, Paulus has measured the breaking strength of the JB Solid 80lb version to 86.30lb. H x W provided by Paulus was 0.424mm x 0.723mm (average: 0.575mm).

I do know there are other relevant parameters than breaking strength, including decline of breaking strength over time, resistance in relation to abrasion etc. However, if one would like a line with lowest diameter (= lowest wind resistance -> longer casting distance) vs breaking strength, the solid 65lb version seems like a very attractive and cost-effective choice.

I have fished with several types of JB Hollow, but have never played with the solid versions. Any comments are most welcome! Specially from those who have tried to use the JB Solid 65lb for popping.

Best wishes,
Dan
Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 01:05:29 AM by Dan Wulf

Vasko Dimoski

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Re: Jerry Brown Solid 65lb
September 10, 2011, 10:20:47 PM
Hi Dan i have got some Jerry brown solid on my SOM 16000 spool i got 310 yards onto it if this gives a indication of its thickness it was spooled up really tight on a propper line spooling machine i bought the line from BHP tackle when i asked Basil the owner  if he knew what the actual breaking strain was he told me 78lb never tested the line my self for breaking strain but it looks very good and cast great  ;)

Dan Wulf

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
September 10, 2011, 10:29:39 PM
Hi Dan i have got some Jerry brown solid on my SOM 16000 spool i got 310 yards onto it if this gives a indication of its thickness it was spooled up really tight on a propper line spooling machine i bought the line from BHP tackle when i asked Basil the owner  if he knew what the actual breaking strain was he told me 78lb never tested the line my self for breaking strain but it looks very good and cast great  ;)
Hi Vasko,
Thanks for your input! Is your JB Solid the 65lb version? And if so - what drag do you normally fish?

Dan

Vasko Dimoski

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
September 11, 2011, 09:53:04 AM
Dan it 65lb solid I usually set the drag to about 8kg for strike but no prob pumping up the drag to 12-14kg after that , for the price can't go wrong

Paulus Van Gaal

September 11, 2011, 10:59:48 AM

Paulus (http://www.paulusjustfishing.com/4linetesting.htm) has tested this 6-strand braid to a breaking strength of 96.21lb (!). The diameter provided by JB (according to an European on-line shop) is 0.407mm. Whereas diameter (H x W) measured by Paulus was 0.360mm x 0.532mm (average: 0.466 mm).

In comparison, Paulus has measured the breaking strength of the JB Solid 80lb version to 86.30lb. H x W provided by Paulus was 0.424mm x 0.723mm (average: 0.575mm).

I do know there are other relevant parameters than breaking strength, including decline of breaking strength over time, resistance in relation to abrasion etc. However, if one would like a line with lowest diameter (= lowest wind resistance -> longer casting distance) vs breaking strength, the solid 65lb version seems like a very attractive and cost-effective choice.

Best wishes,
Dan

Hi Dan

When I did that 80lb test some time ago, I now realise that some brands of lines sold in the EU are very different to those sold in the USA.
Mind you I an not saying that the JB brand is like that.

As that result was older I did drop i out of the line testing but it stayed in the buyguide.

If possible if some one has 4 mts of the JB 80lb solid, I would like to test it.

I have started to reset up the pages as the files are growing daily and getting to big, I will also date the tests.

The new sheets should be up in the coming week.

Paulus

colin tecofsky

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
September 11, 2011, 11:35:11 AM
Dan JB 65lb solid blue is the best braid i've used, casts well soft on the fingers have never had to use a glove when using it. Great to see on the water also NZ Kingfish love the stuff ;D.As for breaking strength dont know what the true rating is but I have pulled some good sized Kingis out of the weeds etc with some serious pressure and it has never let me down.

Dan Wulf

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
September 11, 2011, 08:00:52 PM
Hi Dan

When I did that 80lb test some time ago, I now realise that some brands of lines sold in the EU are very different to those sold in the USA.
Mind you I an not saying that the JB brand is like that.

Hi Paulus,

Good to get feedback from the test bench! :) Thanks! I'm aware of possible differences between various batches/markets. Some years ago I noticed remarkable diameter differences between European batches of the same line (UK vs Denmark) that probably was a consequence of wrong labeling. And to repeat your words - I'm not saying that this may be relevant for the JB products. I will get some (European) fresh samples of JB solid 65lb and 80lb solid and send them to you for testing.

Dan JB 65lb solid blue is the best braid i've used, casts well soft on the fingers have never had to use a glove when using it. Great to see on the water also NZ Kingfish love the stuff ;D.As for breaking strength dont know what the true rating is but I have pulled some good sized Kingis out of the weeds etc with some serious pressure and it has never let me down.
Hi Colin,

That sounds promising! I will give it a try on a SOM 16000 spool.

Best wishes,
Dan

Tan Wah Leng

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
September 12, 2011, 06:19:49 AM
Hi,

Any one noticed that JB Solid seems to have a coat of wax which JB hollow does not have?  ::)