Kurt Wilson

Pelagic Hand Crafted Poppers
September 18, 2011, 09:05:59 PM
Hi Guys
Noticed some new poppers today, checked their website out, apparently made in Perth Australia.
They looks pretty good, come already rigged with their own single hooks and everything.
http://www.pelagicproducts.com/
Has anyone tried them or heard anything about them.
Cheers

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Pelagic Hand Crafted Poppers
September 18, 2011, 11:38:29 PM
I can't imagine the lures are actually made in Australia but it probably is a local company getting them made offshore. I remain to be corrected, of course. I am not at all familiar with the terminals they use - swivels or hooks.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Zac Chilvers

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
September 19, 2011, 12:23:38 AM
I've got a couple of Tailwalk lures that look very similar to a couple of the pelagic models, but have yet to give them a go.

Sam Morrison

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
September 19, 2011, 06:05:10 AM
These look very much similar to the OTI ( Ocean Tackle International ) range... Komodo, Sea Dragon, Pop stick, Wombat etc... More than likely whoever makes these for OTI now makes them for someone else...Nothings sacred in the lure world  :D  :o

Kurt Wilson

September 19, 2011, 10:39:24 AM
Ahh ok, that would make sense Brandon.
What are the OTI lures like Sam?
Might just have to stick to the nomad range of lures.

Sam Morrison

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
September 19, 2011, 10:54:14 AM
The OTI lures have a good following in the US, I am sure Brice (OTI) is a member on GTPopping  ???

I am sure Brice was going to try and get some of the range out fishing for GT's as they are mainly used for popping tuna etc in the US.  8)

Kurt Wilson

September 19, 2011, 12:45:44 PM
Cheers Sam
Just checked the OTI lures out, very very similar.
I spose the only thing to do would to give them a test in the water.

Jamie Moir

September 19, 2011, 04:07:12 PM
I've met the guys in Perth, there is some footage on youtube IIRC.

Not really sure that they make them in Perth though?

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
September 20, 2011, 06:17:56 AM
As I said, I doubt that. The cost of production locally would be prohibitive. I suspect  they're probably a badged OEM from some Chinese producer. The terminals used are a brand I have never heard off
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Sam Morrison

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
September 20, 2011, 06:46:31 AM
As I said, I doubt that. The cost of production locally would be prohibitive. I suspect  they're probably a badged OEM from some Chinese producer. The terminals used are a brand I have never heard off

Stainless Steel hooks too... ??? :(

BriceBludau

September 20, 2011, 09:05:39 AM
The OTI lures have a good following in the US, I am sure Brice (OTI) is a member on GTPopping  ???

I am sure Brice was going to try and get some of the range out fishing for GT's as they are mainly used for popping tuna etc in the US.  8)

Man, the lures aren't safe anywhere!!  Tsunami has some copies over here in the US too.  Not too much I can do without spending a TON of money on lawyers.  Oh well...

I am working towards becoming more involved in the GT community.  Right now we target the tuna fishery, but we have some lures that have become very popular with the GT guys in Southern Oman, South Africa, Singapore, etc...  I'm also bringing out some new stickbaits to market directly to GT guys.

Too bad about the copies...  Unless you do everything in-house yourself, you just can't stop the copies.  I guess it's nice that we make them and they want to duplicate them that bad.  Just gotta look at the bright side right?