Nomad Sportfishing

• Past Sponsor
  • Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Bligh Reef Lagoon Explorer 10 Oct 2011
October 11, 2011, 05:47:08 PM
Peter: Yet again another magical day out on the water. Things started off a little slow this morning as we went on the hunt for a GT. It wasn't until around 10 O'clock things really started to happen. We had around 50 GTs swimming under the boat on 4 separate occasions with a few triple hook ups. We managed to bag 1 of the triple hook ups which was pretty cool and frantic at the same time. Up until the turn of the tide we managed to boat 8 nice size GTs on the heavy gear and saw a lot more. The rest of the day after the tide had turned was all about the soft plastics and we caught another 4 GTs one of which went 26kg all on the light gear! We also managed to catch some nice size trout, a 10kg doggie and two good size Diamond travelly which aren't too common. All in all another great day's fishing

John Dory:- First up this morning with more magical weather we cruised the shallows picking a few trout and gold spot trevally as a warm to the GT fishing mission that the guys were keen for, not to be disappointed straight up we hooked a monster of a GT right at the back of the boat, we all saw the take and gasped at the size of the mouth that opened up and inhaled the popper and headed straight for his home after cruising off the reef and dragging the fish out with us he had stripped at least 100m of line out after a few tense moments we managed to turn his head only to have him turn for home and find it :( the rest of the day was spent with a few quiet patches followed by moments of pandemonium with plenty of double hook ups and triple hook ups, yet another great day at the office!!!

Clint: Magical weather seems to be the key word today and yes it was. It was a jammed packed day with such of a variety of fish. When we went soft plastic fishing for trout we found a heap. Hooking the fish in the shallows was non stop with an 8kg maori wrasse landed. Every ledge we hit the Gts were ready to rumble and jigging for Spanish off the pressure points was insane. There were two highlights today one was watching a 70kg doggie get full airbourne out of the water with the pooper in the mouth unfortunately we missed that one. But to watch a Spanish push a scad and itself 3meters in the air twice and on the third attempt split the scad in two in mid air was out of this world. An action packed day by all means. 

Nick:- Glass out again today! Our first couple of hours today were amazing, we stopped at a ledge casting for GTs and out of nowhere a Sail Fish screams out to smash David's stickbait, he was in such shock from the way I was carrying on he failed to set the hook! My frantic screaming from the tower on the Contender would have been heard for miles! As he pulled the stickkbait out of the water the saily was looking for something to eat, it was so lit up. On his second cast it didn't hesitate to eat it again but unfortunately he failed to set the hooks, I managed to slither down the tower like an African ape down a banana tree to find the only rod with a lure on it was a t-curve jigging rod with a bowling pin teaser and two 12/o stainless marlin hooks on it we use to catch doggies with, named - lulu. My attemps raised a bit of suspicion and she moved off after a few minutes but it was unreal to see the saily a rod length away from the boat so hungry.
The action never seemed to stop and just before lunch we hooked a decent spanish mackerel on a popper of around 20 kilos while the spanish was trying to free the popper from its face a GT screamed in to try and dislodge it, Graham then threw his popper to try and entice the GT only to create a much bigger problem.....a 70 kilo doggie charged in and mowed down Graham's popper but missed it as a 90 kilo whaler charged it at the same time!! Now I'm not sure if you understoond all that but please read it again slowly to fully understand what actually happened! Unreal! Well after that everything else seemed boring! Haha, we were still catching GTs and managed to boat some spanish and rosie job fish on the jigs. What a great day out there and tomorrow is another 5 knot day.......

Graham Stevenson

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Re: Bligh Reef Lagoon Explorer 10 Oct 2011
October 18, 2011, 01:01:13 PM
Nicks report might sound confusing but I was there and I'm not sure what was going on. I recall a huge spaniard being hooked up , and then casting my popper to  the Gt that was following it. Then the Gt , a large dogtooth and a large whaler all attempted to eat the popper in no particular order ! lots of shouting and wide eyed looks followed by tears as i don't think we landed any of them !
Magnificent weeks fishing in mint conditions. Bligh really is a special place.

Earl Hamilton

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Re: Bligh Reef Lagoon Explorer 10 Oct 2011
October 19, 2011, 01:53:16 AM
No problems picturing it here Graham. I can see you and Nick in the middle of that quite clearly! Its my next planned trip with the guys . Could'nt get on for this year, it was booked up way back, so I'm still living off the thrills from Elusive/Frederick last year!
Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 01:57:32 AM by earl hamilton