deepblue

yelllow tail popping or jigging?
January 19, 2008, 12:45:13 PM
Hi Guys,

I'm pretty new to jigging/popping. Recently moved to Socal and wonder what method popping or jigging would be good for yellow tail. Any feedback would be appreciate.

Thanks,

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: yelllow tail popping or jigging?
January 19, 2008, 03:55:16 PM
Jigging is the most recognised method for yellowtails. I have heard a number of people discussing areas where they are a viable target for poppers but have yet too see solid evidence of this. If I saw this, I'd be there!
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Peter Lowe

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
re: yellowtail popping or jigging
January 19, 2008, 07:11:01 PM
In the deeper water -30mtr plus and assuming your in a boat, I would definatley agree that Jigging is most popular/effective method. Yellowtails are such a curious and competative fish..... in saying this, hear in Morton Bay, which is mostly 10mtr or less making jigging very hard then popping is heaps better-if you can find the typical King haunts you will have far further success popping for them, spots to look for are just structure with good current that bait likes to hang around. If you need proof Brandon head up my friend - I can show you any time, they are not always big but they do love the poppers and I am sure you will love the visual hook up- the bigger fish make a bow wake as 4 or 5 try to out muscle each other then smash your popper.

The pic says it all and yes that is a popper in his mouth.......- we have caught many this way after figuring it out.

Jigging is the most recognised method for yellowtails. I have heard a number of people discussing areas where they are a viable target for poppers but have yet too see solid evidence of this. If I saw this, I'd be there!
Last Edit: January 19, 2008, 08:25:05 PM by Peter Lowe

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 19, 2008, 08:50:50 PM
Pete, I will definitely take you up on that!

Yellowtails are awesome and if you can find them at a decent size where they are a viable target on poppers, I'll be there! Let's talk at Shoalwater!

Mick Cunningham

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
January 19, 2008, 09:02:33 PM
 :D :D okay brandon ...

hey i would like to know should i take some plastic for the one day in the lagoon ?? so should i take 5 pack,s of plastic ?? another thing should i take 4 x barra lure,s ???

i know that nomad have twinpower for the lagoon,s ..
as i have been going thought my stuff and trying to work out what to take with me and i know i got to take under 20kg ...

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 20, 2008, 12:15:09 AM
Mick, it isn't a lagoon. If you've fished in the estuary and rivers systems in the NT or North Queensland, that is the type of country we will be fishing inside Shoalwater Bay. Realistically, 4 minnows will do the trick. Say two deep divers and two shallow divers and maybe one packet of plastics. You won't need any more than that.

You'll be able to get away with a fair bit more weight than that on this trip, Mick. We're being picked up by the Odyssey at Yeppoon and then on the way back, we have eight of us on two floatplanes. Personally, I don't think 30kg would be a problem but of course, it is up to you to do battle with Qantas/Jetstar/Virgin.

deepblue

January 20, 2008, 05:07:04 AM
Thanks all for the feedbacks. I can't wait for the weather get a little warmer and get out there. :)

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 20, 2008, 08:41:31 AM
sorry for hijacking your thread. I hope someone here can provide you with some assistance on the Socal scene.

As with any new area, you'd be best off doing some checking around with the local tackle stores to find which are the charters they'd recommend. A couple of charters will get you attuned to the best approach for the local yellowtails.

warren yuile

January 20, 2008, 08:21:51 PM
g,day guys in the last few months we have been doing a lot of shallow water jigging and poppering for kings in 15m to 23m of water we find them then popper until they stop smashing the popper then we jig and then go and find some more. We get more on the jig because they miss the popper more than they hook up but its just  so much fun we are getting 30 to 60 fish a session mostly just legal or just under but some good fish as well Woz

Sam Beeby

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 20, 2008, 09:09:02 PM
 I always found it quite easy to get follows but consistently converting them into hookups is very difficult. Maybe they,re just less switched on (or smarter) around sydney. More often than not on the rocks where i fish they just seem to be casing the popper out. Or if you miss the first oportunity and can't get one to smack a popper straight away, then after a few casts they'll be just watching. I also find that once you catch a couple in an area on poppers, that they wisen up and shut down very quickly to that presentation.  I  constantly vary what I'm throwing in an area to avoid that. Letting a salmon that has eaten your popper swim freely struggling around behind the wash is another matter though - thats the best big kingy lure ever.

MikeOsborn

January 21, 2008, 07:39:13 AM
I jig and popper fish alot for kingfish and now is the time where its going OFF.

some days blue/lumo 200g AG jigs are deadly and the next day it may be a bright pink 470g zest deep slim that does the damage so it just pays to cover all your options.

We only throw poppers when livebaiting around shallow structure or when fish raise to the surface above deep pins.

Learn how to use your sounder and distinguish kingfish marks then adopt a style that will suit where the fish are sitting in the water column and allow you to get a lure in front of them.

Peter Lowe

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
January 21, 2008, 12:04:24 PM

warren yuile

January 21, 2008, 06:30:28 PM
The main problem we have with the kings hitting the poppers is the water pushing the popper out of the way as they hit if we let it sit we get more hook ups but it so much fun watching them hit a moving popper Woz