Luke Ryan

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Oman with No boundaries
November 28, 2011, 04:29:19 PM
Hey all

Just got back from an action packed 4 days fishing with Ed at No Boundaries Oman.

This was one of the first proper GT trips i have been on at to say it was AWSOME was an understatement.
We were awoken every morning to a full breakfast and boat packed ready to go, all we had to do was get in the car to drive to the ramp. Apon launching the boat it was a very lonnggg hour of drive to get out to the islands where we would begin fishing for GT's.

Hallaniyat Islands is truly a serious destination with serious GTs thriving in different type of terrain to test anglers to their limits. We were fishing on shallow reefs, sheer cliffs, exposed wrecks and rock piles in the middle of the ocean, absolutely fantastic and breathtaking!

These islands provides plenty of fishing spots, spanning over 50 miles between the first and last island. Besides GT fishing, the light tackle action is equally first class with Shari (Spangled Emperor), Jacks, Queenfish, Golden Trevally...

Ed is an awesome skipper who knows how to find fish, we caught fish everyday when other boats came back with poor results. Despite having rough weather and green water on the first 2 days we still average at least 4 GTs a day with equal number of fish lost due to bad terrain and as many hits that did not result in hookups. Prior to the trip when Ed said he would guarantee a 40kg GT, I seriously thought it was bullshit!!... (sorry about that Ed). We not only had a 40kg but at least 3 GTs over 50kg and not to mention several monsters that were lost to unforgiving terrain, the hits were so violent and the sheer speed and torque from the run left no chance to angler and tackle, they simply ruled the reef!

If you intend on doing a trip to OMAN for serious GT fishing i wouldn't look anywhere else then No Boundaries, it was so Professionally and we were really made to feel at home. I will deffinately be going back again next year, probly for 6 days.

Here's what was used:

Reels - Stellas and Saltigas
 Rods - Temple Reef GT78-10, Temple Reef GT 710-8, Temple Reef Black Devil 200 Custom, Hammerhead Faube 78ML
 Lines - Varivas Max GT PE8/PE10 Varivas GT SMP PE8/PE10
 Leader - Varivas Shock Leader 170lb / 200lb
 Hot Lures - Meron Ya Spirits, Fisherman Long Pen, Plendel Court, Hottest lure - Hammerhead Tobi 123 & FCL Labo CSP

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: Oman with No boundaries
November 28, 2011, 04:49:54 PM
Excellent report Luke. Congratulations on some big fish and thank you for sharing.

Certainly some non-obvious rods and lures there!  Good to see some variation on that front from the usual reports we see.

Hallaniyat seems to be an absolutely awesome destination.
Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 06:18:55 PM by Mark Harris

Sacco Gerard

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
November 29, 2011, 12:54:00 AM
Hallaniyat Islands is truly a serious destination with serious GTs thriving in different type of terrain to test anglers to their limits.

You are right Luke , 52k (on scale) for my old shoulders  ;) and a cow for my friend, 60k with certainty ( certitude in french) and estimated at approximately 65k 
congratulations for your trip

Dan Smith

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 29, 2011, 05:39:48 AM
Wow, those are some monsters.

George Relf

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 29, 2011, 03:23:13 PM
Nice report Luke and top catches  :)

Always good to have somebody who knows where the spots are

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
November 29, 2011, 04:14:23 PM
Nice work.

Which ones are what size? Too hard to tell.

Good to see Randy staying behind the camera   ::)

Alex Stuart

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 29, 2011, 07:34:08 PM
Great report and love the pics...thanks

Chris Webster

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
November 30, 2011, 07:14:53 AM
What trip. Thanks for sharing.

Chris

Nathan Cefai

• Giant Trevally
  • Reel Men Smoke Stellas
  • Liked:
December 11, 2011, 08:00:08 PM
Good fish there Luke

Kenny Koh Kee Koong

• Fusilier
  • My job is to pop for GT.!
  • Liked:
December 12, 2011, 11:20:32 AM
Nice location and super size fish
Fishing n cycling is my life.I dream of venturing to new places for fishing spots n cycling Trails.This passion will follow me forever. Even when i'm old,the rod shall thus be my walking stick n my bicycle shall be my transportation.One life.Live it!

Ben Crarer

December 31, 2011, 04:00:56 PM
Sick trip mate! MONSTERS!  8)

How did you rate the Temple Reef Rods?

looking at a new rod for my new Stella 18000 I got for xmas  :) was thinking either Temple Reef GT78-10 or Temple Reef GT 710-8...

I understand they are smith blanks?

Cheers

Ben

Steve Li

January 01, 2012, 05:22:09 PM
I am also curious how the Temple Reef GT 710-8 and GT 78-10 performs. I saw one of the video (guy in blue) fighting a big GT and the rod appears quite stiff and not very forgiving. Hope users can share their experience of the rods. Cheers!

:D

Brock Lee

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
January 02, 2012, 01:17:08 PM
Sick trip mate! MONSTERS!  8)

How did you rate the Temple Reef Rods?

looking at a new rod for my new Stella 18000 I got for xmas  :) was thinking either Temple Reef GT78-10 or Temple Reef GT 710-8...

I understand they are smith blanks?

Cheers

Ben

The blank are not made by Smith.  From what Randy told me they were made in Japan.  I didn't ask by who though. 

Steve Li

January 06, 2012, 03:16:15 AM
There's a "Smith Ltd" logo on the blanks of the Black Devils. Presume they are Smith blanks??? Not sure if the logo is present on the GT models tho.......  :)

Ben Crarer

January 06, 2012, 08:19:00 AM
Cheers Steve, I found them local here http://www.elitetackle.com.au/temple-reef-gt-stick-series/  smith blanks were mentiond in discription, they look like nice rods for the price! I would love to hear a review on the the 7-10 PE 8 one.