Steve Li

Daiwa Saltist or Seagate. Good Enough???
December 30, 2011, 06:34:40 AM
Hi

Would like to seek some feedback from guys who have used either the Daiwa Saltist or Seagate 4500H. Thinking of adding a couple of less expensive reels to supplement the top end Saltigas and Stellas. Looking to use them to pair with a PE6 stick bait rod casting 80gm to 100gm stick baits / swim baits.

Do you think they (the reel) can do the job? i have a Seagate 4500H which I have upgraded the drag to carbontex. Wondering whether to get a couple more. Definitely not expecting it to tame anything over 20kg on a regular basis. Thanks!

Mark Gwynne

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Daiwa Saltist or Seagate. Good Enough???
December 30, 2011, 09:58:10 PM
I have a seagate 3500 H and it has tamed some pretty respectable fish. It's nailed a 25 kilo GT plus this big Groper that took 45 minutes to get back to the beach. I had to apply some pretty heavy drag to stop it spooling me! The 4500 would do the job although I would not put PE 6 on it. I reckon it's a 50lb max reel so I guess PE4, at a stretch PE 5.

Groper from the beach

Steve Li

December 30, 2011, 10:37:25 PM
I have a seagate 3500 H and it has tamed some pretty respectable fish. It's nailed a 25 kilo GT plus this big Groper that took 45 minutes to get back to the beach. I had to apply some pretty heavy drag to stop it spooling me! The 4500 would do the job although I would not put PE 6 on it. I reckon it's a 50lb max reel so I guess PE4, at a stretch PE 5.

Groper from the beach

25kg with the 3500????? Wow!!!  :o

Any signs of gearing problems after putting it thru such punishment? Am planning to use the 4500H for regular GT hunting. So durability is important..... I know I have to manage my expectations for a reel in that price range tho. Definitely not expecting it to hold out as well as a Saltiga or Stella.

All feedback from user of the reel is much appreciated.  :D

Mark Gwynne

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
December 30, 2011, 10:49:30 PM
No signs of any issues yet. It was only one GT though. Difficult to say how long it would last when used all the time for that type of work. The Catalina 4500H are going pretty cheap right now if there are any left. That is a far better reel in the Daiwa stables.

Jamie Moir

December 31, 2011, 12:47:44 AM
I had a seagate 3500h and would never bvuy one again, it flogged out after one exmouth trip and I replaced it with a twinpower 5k.

Steve Li

December 31, 2011, 01:17:13 AM
I had a seagate 3500h and would never bvuy one again, it flogged out after one exmouth trip and I replaced it with a twinpower 5k.
[/quote

What really happened? Quite surprised that you used such a small reel at Exmouth. Was it punished hard???

Am sure the Twinpower will outperform a Seagate, its almost 3 times the price too!  ;D

I am looking for something one or two levels below the Saltiga but there aren't any available in the new range....  :(

Jamie Moir

December 31, 2011, 11:04:10 AM
What really happened? Quite surprised that you used such a small reel at Exmouth. Was it punished hard???

Not really, some gulf tuna, cobia, spanglies etc, and casting too not jigging so no heavy weights. The oscillator gear got very noisy and it developed lots of slack, so I suspect main gear wear.

Am sure the Twinpower will outperform a Seagate, its almost 3 times the price too!  ;D

Sure, but you only have to buy it once!

Carl Hollis

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 31, 2011, 11:59:23 AM

Exactly the same issues with 3500H I bought. In addition, the external plastic line roller cover on the bail arm split from the screw vertically to the top of the plastic piece twice. I live near Daiwa HQ and when I took it back there they replaced it immediately free of charge - good service. And, the same sloppy feel and grindy noise is now present - main gears I suspect. It has been relegated to the visitors spin reel...and I too replaced it with a Twinpower 5000, should've done this to start with. Mine was ~9mths old and used every weekend at least spinning for small pelagics. Must say though, I have just bought a Certate 3012 hi-speed for small speedsters and am very impressed to date - I know, different reel class...
Carlos

Andrew Susani

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
December 31, 2011, 03:23:09 PM
My friend recently broke the main gear shaft in his Saltist 5000 on a 20kg GT, his txt to me was "Saltist 8, GT 1" - he had caught 8 GTs up to about 25kg over the last 4 months on it, and managed to break it while fishing a max drag of about 8kg, with 65lb braid and 120lb leaders.

He has since upgraded to a Saltiga 6500 but it will be solely aimed at GT popping.  I think the Saltist was good for general purpose fishing targetting mid-sized fish but if you are consistently pushing a mid-range reel with 20kg + GTs then something probably has to give.
Focus on the pop

Ben Crarer

December 31, 2011, 06:26:15 PM
No signs of any issues yet. It was only one GT though. Difficult to say how long it would last when used all the time for that type of work. The Catalina 4500H are going pretty cheap right now if there are any left. That is a far better reel in the Daiwa stables.

Catalinas are a very capable reel, I own a 4500 and a 6500 and they smash serious fish! best part of a saltiga minus a few bearings etc, built in japan, nice reels!

Steve Li

December 31, 2011, 07:48:48 PM
My friend recently broke the main gear shaft in his Saltist 5000 on a 20kg GT, his txt to me was "Saltist 8, GT 1" - he had caught 8 GTs up to about 25kg over the last 4 months on it, and managed to break it while fishing a max drag of about 8kg, with 65lb braid and 120lb leaders.

He has since upgraded to a Saltiga 6500 but it will be solely aimed at GT popping.  I think the Saltist was good for general purpose fishing targetting mid-sized fish but if you are consistently pushing a mid-range reel with 20kg + GTs then something probably has to give.

Hi Andrew, thanks for the input. Yeah, I'll still rely on my Saltigas as front line tackle. Was just thinking of an additional reel that don't cost a bomb to add to the arsenal. Wanna use it to pair a light PE6 stick bait rod casting 80gm to 100gm stick baits.

I can expect it not to last and perform at the same level of the Saltigas and Stellas, but also hoping it doesn't fall apart after just a couple of trips )or fish for the matter)......  :D

Steve Li

December 31, 2011, 07:53:38 PM

Catalinas are a very capable reel, I own a 4500 and a 6500 and they smash serious fish! best part of a saltiga minus a few bearings etc, built in japan, nice reels!

Hi Ben

I've owned a Catalina 4500H before but have since sold it. They are very decent reels and would love to get one again. But aside from lesser bearings than a Saltiga, think they are not equipped with the "hyper gears" too.

Sad thing is, you won't find them being stocked at Singapore tackle shops anymore....... Just hoping that Daiwa will release a second line from the new Saltigas.

Frederic Kullin

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
January 01, 2012, 12:39:09 AM
Why not have a look on a Saltiga 4500 Blast not to far from the Seagate in price. I got mine for under 400$ on E-bay.
Its a "budget" saltiga with fewer bearings and simpler design but basically the same reel.
Fish isnt caught from the couch you got to be there....

Steve Li

January 01, 2012, 05:00:52 PM
Why not have a look on a Saltiga 4500 Blast not to far from the Seagate in price. I got mine for under 400$ on E-bay.
Its a "budget" saltiga with fewer bearings and simpler design but basically the same reel.

But it doesn't come with a Hi-gear model.........  :(

Frederic Kullin

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
January 01, 2012, 06:12:17 PM
True but 5,1:1 is better than 4,9:1 as on the 4500Z  ;) 
Fish isnt caught from the couch you got to be there....