michael burn

Xtreme Tackle Dogtooth Terminator Reel
January 17, 2012, 09:47:37 PM
Hi,
Has anyone used or got any feedback on the Xtreme Tackle Dogtooth Terminator Reel?
As far as I am aware it is retailed at Tackleworld Stores in Australia. I have been informed that it is designed in Australia, parts made in China and assembled in Australia. It looks very similar to the Saltiga Dogfight.
It has 10 +1 sealed SS bearings and a 25kg carbontex drag. It is obviously no Stella or Saltiga but for $350.00 AUD it appears good value.

Ben Lawes

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Xtreme Tackle Dogtooth Terminator Reel
January 17, 2012, 10:02:27 PM

michael burn

January 17, 2012, 10:14:56 PM
You got it.

Have you or anyone you know given it a run?

Ben Lawes

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:

Andrew Susani

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
January 17, 2012, 10:30:26 PM
Ha ha ha nice work Ben, I couldn't have said it any better  ;D
Focus on the pop

michael burn

January 17, 2012, 10:56:57 PM
Thanks Ben. Interesting.

Gavin Chau

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 18, 2012, 07:10:33 PM
according to the alan hawk review the drag (on similar tufftackle reel) is actually better than a saltiga (not the 2010 saltiga).... thats about all though!!

If tufftackle is really is a small Aussie start-up I would personally like to see it do well... our manufacturing sector is basically dead (can't have an economy consisting of mining and services only!)
Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 07:19:13 PM by gavin chau

Adrian Braun

January 19, 2012, 01:38:02 AM
I heard that the drag of the original Saltiga was sticky and top fishermen recommend a replacement by carbontechx. Is 2010 Saltiga the same thing?

Rob Langridge

• Fusilier
  • I intend to live forever...... So far, so good.
  • Liked:
January 19, 2012, 03:14:48 AM
Cheers,
Rob

Gavin Chau

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 19, 2012, 04:05:22 AM
lol - that marketing spiel sounds a lot like Daiwa has swapped their original crap drag washers with carbontex and added drag grease doesn't it?

if that sounds like I'm taking the piss - i am !

but I also genuinely like Daiwa gear :)

you can never truly get rid of small peaks and troughs in the drag (in the real world) since the friction will vary depending on where the line is being pulled off the spool. and my understanding is that you can never completely remove start up inertia... happy to be proven wrong though
Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 04:11:36 AM by gavin chau

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 19, 2012, 12:27:15 PM
The UTD drag system is the first all inclusive drag that reduces the need for the angler to manually maintain the drag system during the fight

Hi Rob,

Can you clarify what you mean by "reduces the need for the angler to manually maintain the drag system during the fight" I'm a bit confused on this one.

Are you trying to say the drag automatically adjusts to remain constant regardless of the amount of line that  remains on the spool during a protracted fight?
Set the ray to GeeT

Rob Langridge

• Fusilier
  • I intend to live forever...... So far, so good.
  • Liked:
January 19, 2012, 03:15:47 PM
G`Day Andy

That`s how Daiwa are promoting they`re new drag system. I got the comment off the Daiwa website.

G`Day Gavin

I think i am the New Saltiga`s No:1 Fan in saying that i do love my Shimano Stradic FJ 2500 & 5000

Cheers Rob
Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 03:38:59 PM by Rob Langridge
Cheers,
Rob

Christoffer Hansen

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
January 19, 2012, 03:33:52 PM
The new drag washers that come standard are a improvement, but the Carbotex are still better IMO and last a lot longer. I fished my saltiga for about 3 months before the utd washers were buggered and had to be replaced with Carbotex. Much cheaper! On the other hand I've had my 18000sw for a year fishin it alongside the saltiga and the original drag is still goin.

Chris

Adrian Braun

January 19, 2012, 03:51:15 PM
I fished my saltiga for about 3 months before the utd washers were buggered and had to be replaced with Carbotex. Much cheaper! On the other hand I've had my 18000sw for a year fishin it alongside the saltiga and the original drag is still goin.

Thanks for the info. I have been looking closely on the new saltiga and how it compared to stella sw. and all I hear makes me think stella still comes on top. 

Les Maunder

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 19, 2012, 04:05:04 PM
In regards to the 2010 Saltigas, while in general they are a nice reel Daiwa have elected to stamp out the metal washers in the drag system as distinct from having machined (read flat) washers as was the case with the original Saltigas. This cost me a nice Sailfish and required a lot of honing to get them flat. Also the metal is very thin and I am thinking of getting some slightly thicker ones made up.

For me this only showed up on a fast running fish and was extremely disappointing considering the cost of the reel.

Has anyone else pulled their drag system down and discovered this "anomaly"?

Cheers

Les