alon lin

color of metal jigs
January 20, 2012, 09:07:27 PM
Hello everyone, I m new here, I have a question. Does the color affect the result of jigging? which color u guys think is the best color or shape will attract fish? or different target have different color and shape?   such as If  the target is kingfish what kind of jig you guys will suggest me to use? I know ,perhaps you will have different opinions , please feel free to share with me, many thanks.

Mark Stotesbury

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: color of metal jigs
January 22, 2012, 01:50:36 AM
In Madagasscar and Tanzania hooker1 and hooker7 work really well in pink/silver also fusillier colour But they work just as hood if not better once they lost half their paint - ie: dull leadcolour as well 

Darren Cook

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
January 22, 2012, 07:16:32 AM
Ultimate kingfish jig for me is Smith Nagamasa 400gm.  Sardine colour but the all work very well.
In 250 metres I dont think theres much light to see what colour the jig is.

alon lin

January 29, 2012, 01:46:19 PM
thank you guys .

Chris Rogerson

February 28, 2012, 09:47:31 PM
Pink seems to be pretty prevelant in my jig selection, I doubt colour makes a difference.

Richard Ghalayini

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
June 26, 2012, 04:05:02 PM
I find pinks are great but orangey golds are my favs if the leather heads don't get it first lol

Michael Sammut

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 15, 2012, 11:33:29 AM
i was having a look at a book.  it was called something like "what fish see" and it goes through what colours dissapear first and things like that.  it seems to me that orange stood out the most and having stripes on it was good too.

Tommy Du

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 29, 2012, 09:19:01 PM
I actually am a car painter so I have painted a few jigs in that paint that changes colour it works a treat, also painted a few in a white pearl colour . Has do e good on a few kings in nz
Used to drop now onto pop

Grant Zietsman

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
August 14, 2013, 02:33:01 PM
I have had great success on all species on pinks/blues.
There is alot of truth to the loss of colour at certain depths, i dive as well and yellows and reds are lost as shallow as 20m, blue and green seem to go down the furtherest.
When fish are weary I find the blues or pinks work well, in saying, when the fish are on the chew, colour means nothing!

I am however a firm believer in that if the angler is confident in a colour or lure it will fish better...simply for the reason that you will put more effort into the action of a lure you trust!
go with your gut...if its black you like...it will work!

Zeck Lim

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 22, 2014, 07:36:36 PM
super old thread, but my favorite jig and color is the Speed Darter in Natural Dark Metal (color of lead).

bought a bunch of the new PD jigs. Let's see how they fare compared with the older models.

I absolutely agree - confidence is KEY!

Courtland Babcock

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 23, 2014, 01:06:53 AM
Aside from confidence, which i feel is paramount. I am starting to think the actual fish they are naturally eating work pretty well.

Zeck Lim

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 23, 2014, 03:13:20 AM
wow. that looks amazing!

what are the jigs and where did you get them?

thanks.