Callan Wallace

30lb popping rod
February 04, 2012, 07:06:12 AM
Looking for ideas on 30lb popping rods. It seems to be rather hard to find a good one. Any Ideas? Ready made or blanks would work.
Thanks

Sam Morrison

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: 30lb popping rod
February 04, 2012, 08:05:49 AM
Looking for ideas on 30lb popping rods. It seems to be rather hard to find a good one. Any Ideas? Ready made or blanks would work.
Thanks

Hi Callan,

Have a look at the CTS website... http://www.ctsfishing.com/seamasterpopperpro.php

I have a 50lb blank and it is really nice to use, swims stick baits well also. CTS blanks have a huge following in Europe in the fly scene, they are gathering momentum in the Jigging scene also here in NZ and AU with a lot of builders using the blanks.

Sam

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 04, 2012, 11:56:23 AM
What would you be fishing for Callan and what size poppers would you likely be using?

Callan Wallace

February 04, 2012, 01:16:46 PM
Sam, thanks for the info I will have a look at the Sea Masters.
Mark, I will be fishing for GT's and Bluefin inside the reefs. Lure weight will be from 45grm to 70grm.
Callan

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 04, 2012, 01:37:18 PM
With that brief, here are a few ideas for you (these are all rods I have used to some extent).

The Yamaga Blanks Blue Sniper range is excellent. You can see the full line up here:
http://yamaga-blanks.com/product/bluesniper_boitcasting.html  . Lots of different options in the range you are after.

If you are fishing from shore, then have a look at the longer Blue Snipers here: http://yamaga-blanks.com/product/blue.html

Although I dislike the Shimano Carynx Kaibutsu range, the Kaibutsu Light Pleasure is a nice enough rod. It would be good at the higher end of the lure weight range you give but might not load well with the lighter lures.

The Tenryu Motion range have a few options which would suit. You will find the whole range detailed on some notable tackle websites. I have used a friend's which I think is the 822 MH.  A nice parabolic rod but with fairly stiff tip which works little poppers in your weight range effortlessly.

I hope that helps a bit.
Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 01:50:01 PM by Mark Harris

Warwick Joyce

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
February 07, 2012, 08:08:33 AM
Kaiser Lightcast 73H  8)

Callan Wallace

February 07, 2012, 08:38:11 PM
Thanks Mark and Warwick, I am checking them out right now.

Sam Walker

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 07, 2012, 10:07:09 PM
Does anybody know who sells the CTS blanks in Australia ?
something clever and witty !

Doug Terry

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
February 07, 2012, 10:14:06 PM
Mark why do you dislike the Shimano Cananx kaibutsu?

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 07, 2012, 10:59:02 PM
No worries Callan - good luck! 

Doug - a silly stiff blank, poorly made. I don't really know what Shimano were thinking to be honest. I have a Carynx Kaibutsu Surface Monster which I will swop for a couple of good lures if anyone wants it!

That being said, the Light Pleasure model is a reasonable PE2-4 rod.

Doug Terry

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
February 07, 2012, 11:55:36 PM
Enough said Mark. What Travel Rod ( multi piece) would you recommend for GT's, as international Airlines now charge an arm and a leg to transport 2 piece rods around the world. Especially if like me you live in the UK.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 08, 2012, 12:02:30 AM
There is no travel rod I know of that is suitable for fishing for GTs.  Lots of rumours of them appearing but nothing I have seen yet.

Traveling in Asia, Africa and the Middle East I have not once paid a over-size baggage fee for 2 piece rods packed in a tube like a Carmate. Even discount airlines like AirAsia accept those as normal baggage.  It might be very different in Europe of course.

Doug Terry

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
February 08, 2012, 12:26:11 AM
flying from the Uk you can take a rod tube as checked baggage along with your checked bag providing they are both within the 23kg limit together other wise you will be charged for the extra bag which is 47aud each way.

richard shirazian

February 08, 2012, 05:47:04 AM

Guys have a look at this site...I have the sailfish xt and permit travel rods, caught small size gt 18kg on the xt rod must say it was a wild ride but it did the job... Since then they have introduced a dedicated popping rod/s so would hope they are stronger. Good standard of finish and not expensive... They are available in the uk...have fun

http://www.foxsportfishing.com/catalogues-products.php?section=1&product=42&catalogue=6

Ken Uechi

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
February 08, 2012, 08:03:19 AM
Ripple Fisher posted videos of their GTX travel rod in action fighting GTs.  It looked quite impressive.  They have PE 6, PE 7, and PE 8 models of the rod.  I haven't found it for sale anywhere though.