David Hallifax

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Greetings all

When should you change the braid on a reel that has been used for popping ?

I have a Stella 18000 with Frog 120lb braid.  Has been used for about 3 or 4 days popping but still looks OK.

Is it after each trip or when it doesn't cast as well or just when it starts to look like crap ?

I assume it has a reasonable shelf life but as I am heading off for a solid weeks fishing next week I would be keen to hear from those more experienced on the topic. 

Have tried searching the forum but I couldn't find anything about how often to change your spool so apologies if this has been covered in the past. 

Cheers
Dave

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
David, braid can be used for long periods of time provided it doesn't get nicked and damaged.
Don't forget you can always reverse it.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
It's amazing how many anglers do not seem to reverse their braided line! Effectively doubles the life of your (very expensive) line.

Lee Margrave

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
It's amazing how many anglers do not seem to reverse their braided line! Effectively doubles the life of your (very expensive) line.
Hello Mark, By reversing, do you mean to un spool then re-spool  with the used portion on the bottom of the spool? Thanks......

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:

Hi Mark ,

I always reverse my line , each spool gets 2 extended trips and multiple day trips . I have line winder from the trolling day which I empty my reels after each season , spinning reels is relatively short works compared to trolling reels .  ;)

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

David Hallifax

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
Thanks guys

Appreciate the feedback.

Dave 

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Yes Lee, exactly that.  Takes a bit of time to do manually unless you have your own line winder like Jon, or a friendly tackle store nearby. Definitely worthwhile though.

Hello Mark, By reversing, do you mean to un spool then re-spool  with the used portion on the bottom of the spool? Thanks......

Lee Margrave

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Thanks Mark,  It sounded so simple I just second guessed myself.  I have always just checked for nicks, abrasions etc... manuallly and visually then cut out the damaged braid then re tied the new leader back on.  I guess I have been fourtunate so far and haven't busted off at the braid thus far. How many days of hard fishing before you make the reversal ?

Chris Rogerson

Dyneema and polyethylene lines are very inert, they really don't rot, deteriate or react with the conditions they come into contact with as a fishing line, abrasion or wear and test is all you have to look out for.