Andre van Wyk

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • DARK CONTINENT DARKSTAR RIDER
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Somewhere in Indo
March 29, 2012, 04:03:12 AM
Thought I'd share this with you guys...

One of my best mates, Groj, ( his name is Jorg, we call him Groj, Jorg backwards ) who I've known since I was 6 months old, we been mates since before we could walk, recently quit his job here in Cape Town as head engineer of a roof tile factory, because after making 27 million roof tiles over the last couple years, he reckonned it was time to do something fun with his life...

He's a pretty genius mechanic ( youngest qualified Land Rover mechanic in Land Rover history before he started running rooftile factories! ) so he thought about doing a conversion to Marine Mechanics and engineering, and maybe heading to the Med or Caribbean possibly to work on the boats....

Now I must tell you Groj is not a super "Boat" guy... he's never fished in his life, despite being one of my best mates, he doesn't fish, at all.... he's a surfer and a dirt biker....

Anyway, one drunken evening we were chatting about what he is gonna do with himself, and I jokingly said to him " Why don't you get hold of the Indies Trader Surf Charters, and see if you can work on one of their boats!? "... I said it jokingly, becuse getting a job on one of their boats, would be almost akin for someone who has never fished in the ocean before, getting hold of Nomad Sportfishing and asking them for a guiding job.....

Anyway, in our drunken state we laughed about it, and that evening he dropped Indies Trader an e-mail, just for fun pretty much,..... 3:00am in the morning he got a call from the owners saying send us your passport details, we'll fly you out next week... Boom, just like that.... So he flew off to Jakarta, spent a month in dry dock with the Indies Trader and they left on their first charter about a week ago....

I of course said to him he's gotta try fish while he's there, I'm sure he'll see some amazing areas with epic fishing...

Got these pics from him today... first fish ever... on a popper too!!!

He said it kicked his ass!!!

He reckons the fish were lose... every cast the guys were hooking up...

Gotta say I felt like a proud father when I got this mail!!!

Super stoked for him, and we just might have a new GTpopping addict in our midst!!
To Ride, Shoot Straight and Speak the Truth...

Andre van Wyk

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • DARK CONTINENT DARKSTAR RIDER
  • Liked:
Re: Somewhere in Indo
March 29, 2012, 04:06:36 AM
Sorry Mods I posted in the wrong section... can someone delete this thread? I moved it to the reports thread.... Apologies..
Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 04:09:21 AM by Andre van Wyk
To Ride, Shoot Straight and Speak the Truth...

Kamalu Charlot

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Re: Somewhere in Indo
March 29, 2012, 05:23:27 AM
I really like the pic of him hand releasing the fish underwater... Thanks for posting.