Christoffer Hansen

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Strongest lb rating pe10 line
April 08, 2012, 07:57:57 PM
Hey guys,
        Jus wondering what people regard as the best strongest pe10 line. I currently use Varivas gt max rated at 130lb and on my current rods and wouldn't run anything else, but I would like to own a fire vortex in the future and don't wanna run pe12 cause of the restricted casting distance. I was thinking pe10 150lb Varivas smp, is there something better?
Cheers chris

Dave Creffield

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Re: Strongest lb rating pe10 line
April 08, 2012, 08:09:21 PM
Chrisso,

Stick with the varivas 130 mate, never let me down. You could try tuffline but it won't cast anywhere near as well. Never used Jerry Brown, but the cost saving would be a definate bonus.

Creffo.
C'mon... Just one more cast!!!

Ben Rivers

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
April 08, 2012, 08:20:41 PM
Jerry Brown

Christoffer Hansen

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
April 08, 2012, 08:39:00 PM
Jerry brown pe10 is only 100lb how is that the strongest?

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 08, 2012, 09:11:40 PM
Christoffer, before making that SMP switch you might want to ask around a bit as it is not universally loved, shall we say.  And it is frighteningly expensive.

Ask for your question, it would not surprise me if there was a PE10 equivalent diameter spectra line that tests as strongly. What about the new PowerPro stuff that was being discussed the other day?  Whether you would want to use it is another matter of course.

Christoffer Hansen

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
April 08, 2012, 09:31:50 PM
I have used powerpro before it ended up in the bin where I think it was of better use to me! What exactly is it that gives the smp a bad rep compared to your standard avani and is it the pe8 or the pe10 people have problems with. What about the new sunlines?

Darren Cook

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
April 08, 2012, 10:18:07 PM
Tuffline 130lb is indeed like casting rope. Good for the deck winch and downrigger.
I like the PE 10 varivas Gt max.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 09, 2012, 12:08:30 AM
I have used powerpro before it ended up in the bin where I think it was of better use to me! What exactly is it that gives the smp a bad rep compared to your standard avani and is it the pe8 or the pe10 people have problems with. What about the new sunlines?

I not going to disagree on the appropriate place for PowerPro :)

I have only purchased one spool of SMP in my life (PE10). When it was very newly spooled I had a casting explosion. I personally know of two other such occurrences and also a couple of line failures when a fish is on. It's the former that worries me the most.

To put that into perspective, with GT Max I have never experienced a casting explosion and have only ever had one line failure (probably my fault).  And that's with very extensive use... God only knows how many thousands of casts!

In light of that experience I could never bring myself to use SMP again - a more expensive product in which I have way less confidence.
Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 12:14:24 AM by Mark Harris

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 09, 2012, 10:29:59 AM
Mark, your experience is shared by a multitude of other GT anglers. Both Malcolm Crane and myself found to our horror that "wind knot = snap-off"

I understand that this problem has been rectified but for me, I'm too scarred to go near it again. The question this raises in my mind is the degree of testing that was undertaken prior to release
If it swims; I want to catch it!