Santosh Shanmuga

GT fishing in the summer.
February 25, 2008, 02:11:43 PM
Hey guys!

What are the seasons for GT fishing? Is the bite good during June, July, and August?
I want to know because that's when I'm off from school.

Thanks!
-Santosh

Stephen Polzin

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: GT fishing in the summer.
February 26, 2008, 11:42:35 PM
It probably depends where you're located.  The season for GT's in Cairns only goes for 365 days each year. 
Cairns Bommie Basher

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 27, 2008, 08:26:54 AM
 :D I needed a laugh this morning, thanks Stephen ;D ;D ;D
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Santosh Shanmuga

February 27, 2008, 09:37:17 AM
Thanks Stephen. How about places like New Caledonia and Shoalwater Bay? The GT bite should be hot there all year long too?

When is cyclone season in Australia?

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 27, 2008, 01:05:50 PM
Gts are available all year round. I think you may find lesser numbers in New Caledonia in the colder months but apparently, the fish are bigger. Shoalwater would have fish all year round but good luck getting there!
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 27, 2008, 11:11:16 PM
Cyclone season goes from around December to April on the west coast, not too sure about over east. We have some of the best weather/fishing towards the end of the cyclone season if there's no cyclones around at that time.

Santosh Shanmuga

February 28, 2008, 07:46:16 AM
The colder months in the south pacific is June, July, and Augst right?

I'm relieved to hear that the fishing lasts year round...

Thanks guys!

Aaron Concord

March 02, 2008, 08:33:47 PM
Santosh,
Were you want to go??
For the better part, GT's are a warmer current/summer fish when you get to the southern extremes like Brisbane on the East Coast and Geraldton on the West.
As Stephen said, places like Cairns/Barrier Reef North are 365 days a year since the water is always warm.
Funny thing can happen out in the Coral Sea....too flat & too warm will push the fish off the flats and out into deep (AKA jigging) water.
November to April is the Cyclone Season for Australia, though unless you need to crawl from Tibet, these days even the travelling fisho can fish the guts out of this season with better forecasting....

Santosh Shanmuga

March 04, 2008, 08:37:19 AM
I was thinking somewhere in the Coral Sea with NomadSportfishing...

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 04, 2008, 08:49:57 AM
well, if that is the case, the GT specific locations which Nomad go to are Shoalwater and Bugatti. I'd suggest that if you're very experienced, you may want to consider Shoalwater. It's an amazingly tough location but you have a chance at fish up to any size.

Bugatti is a much more friendly location and if conditions are right, you will catch a lot of fish there.

Nomad do Shoalwater in February and Bugatti in April
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Santosh Shanmuga

March 04, 2008, 09:18:32 AM
How about Marion Reef?

Aaron Concord

March 07, 2008, 12:49:06 AM
Marion had more Dogtooth than GT's!!!!!!!!
Every bombie we fished or a corner with current and bait, a 40kg doggie would eat the popper or stick bait first....I filmed the first NOMAD trip their with the "Grouper" boys (Mogi & Konishi)
I think it was too hot on the flats...Kenji got a 40+ GT fishing poppers though we caught far more GT's at Bugatti on the way out.
Kenn & Wreck also have great populations of GT's though again, they can be in 50m of water or on the flats depending where the bait & what the water temp is doing.
The Coral Sea places have more variety.
If you want GT's go to Shoalwater or Bugatti or perhaps, north of Lizard Island where they cleaned up last year....I'd do Kenn, purely for options of getting stretched by big fish of ALL types...
Aaron.

Andre van Wyk

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • DARK CONTINENT DARKSTAR RIDER
  • Liked:
March 07, 2008, 01:00:43 AM
Hey Aaron - Any chance theer may be a site where one can view any of your images or video? Stuck behind a PC, I'm in need of fresh images to keep me sane man!!!  ;D
To Ride, Shoot Straight and Speak the Truth...

Santosh Shanmuga

March 07, 2008, 08:34:44 AM
Thanks Aaron!

martin brennan

March 07, 2008, 11:32:37 AM

Nomad do Shoalwater in February

just wandering, is dirty water from wet season runoff an issue in shoalwater bay ? up here when it floods it drives the fish onto the wider islands and reefs in search of cleaner water