Chris Dennis

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
GT fishing in the Philippines
May 19, 2012, 01:53:58 AM
This is a long shot but is there anyone out there who has fished for GT's in the Philippines ?

They're clearly out there, the local name for a GT is Talakitok, and I've seen pics of odd fish up to 21kg. However I suspect few people, if any, pop etc for them.

The Subic Bay area seems to throw up the odd fish and is only a couple of hours from where I stay on my occasional visits to the Philippines.

My in laws might see me a bit more often in the future if I could sort out some decent fishing..............  ;)

Graham Blackmore

• Fusilier
  • fisherman first diver second
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: GT fishing in the Philippines
May 19, 2012, 07:03:34 AM
There is a masssive destructive fishing problem in Philippines and reefs are typically flat (bombed) unless you get really remote or in areas protected by divers. 

I have seen yellowfin busting the surface in subic (but its protected), lots of big GTS around the pier in Subic too and GTs as big as divers in Puerto galera.  I have friends with boats and they say you are extremely lucky to catch anything shallower than 80m (where the bombs reach). 

I am sure Earl will be along shortly :)

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 19, 2012, 12:34:52 PM
In my experience, the key to finding good fishing anywhere in Asia is to get away from heavily populated areas. More people = less fish.

Arturo Zambarrano Jr.

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 20, 2012, 04:57:05 AM
I've fished in the island of Davao, particularly samar island, but there was no hits at all.  Like Mark was mentioning, more people in the area equals less fish in the area.  But at the same time, I can't really conclude that there's no GTs in Davao.  I am going to the Philippines next year, but we'll see if I could sneak a little fishing time when I'm there :) 

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
May 20, 2012, 07:57:34 PM
The phrases "good fishing" and "dynamite fishing" simpyl don't exist in the same sentence, any where  ;)

Chris Dennis

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 21, 2012, 02:32:30 AM
The freshwater fishing is much the same - lots of water but not many fish of note.

Is there any fishing to be had in the Subic area Graham or is it all a protected area ?

Graham Blackmore

• Fusilier
  • fisherman first diver second
  • Liked:
May 21, 2012, 03:48:01 AM
The freshwater fishing is much the same - lots of water but not many fish of note.

Is there any fishing to be had in the Subic area Graham or is it all a protected area ?

If you know the right people to talk to you can definitely fish in Subic.

Saltywater Tackle

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • SAMI, PAUL & RAYMOND
  • Liked:
May 21, 2012, 08:42:47 AM
This is a long shot but is there anyone out there who has fished for GT's in the Philippines ?

They're clearly out there, the local name for a GT is Talakitok, and I've seen pics of odd fish up to 21kg. However I suspect few people, if any, pop etc for them.

The Subic Bay area seems to throw up the odd fish and is only a couple of hours from where I stay on my occasional visits to the Philippines.

My in laws might see me a bit more often in the future if I could sort out some decent fishing..............  ;)
Try the Batanes Islands, northern most island of Philippines.
Think it is 2 hours by air from Manila.
Downside is only one flight a week and baggage weight limits are extremely strict with most of the cargo being food or supplies for the island.
Logistics can be a pain in the @$$ there are no proper fishing boats when i was there, but the fishing is good.
I was fishing with the locals on a 3 man boat with a small motor.
Was there in the early 2000s, steep cliffs and dropoffs make up most of the islands, deep blue water with GTs, Marlins, Wahoos, Mahis, Flametail Ruby snappers and YFTs roaming near the rocky cliffs and deep dropoffs.
Good time to go is April when the flying fish are in season and typhoons are not as frequent.
Some of the biggest flying fish i have seen are from Batanes, they are over a foot long!
Taiwanese boats frequent the waters off Batanes but the coast guards drives them off when they get too close.
Mainly subsistence fishing with handlines and only one or two islanders doing sport fishing.
There are no 5 stars hotels and the only place with air conditioning is the local bank.
You will probably be staying in one of the village lodges or stone houses which are found everywhere on the island.
I stayed at Shane Dels Inn when i was there.
Cheers,
Paul.

Arturo Zambarrano Jr.

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 21, 2012, 03:36:27 PM
hey paul!

What size GTs were you landing?  And were you also shore fishing?

Thanks!

Chris Dennis

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 25, 2012, 03:33:24 AM
Thanks for the responses to date guys, I'll keep researching and see what else I can find out. There's an awful lot of ocean around the Philippines, some of it must hold a few fish !

Mark - Batanes sounds epic, very pioneering stuff. It makes Southern Oman look easily accessible (mind you, we're lucky cos it's driveable from here in Dubai, 10 hours or so)

Graham - Subic is probably my best bet. Do you have any contacts so I can follow up on it ?

Arturo - I don't think I'll be venturing that far south. I've been down to Cebu and Palawan. Lot's of marine life in Palawan but if I'm not mistaken it was another protected area. Good luck with your trip next year, let me know how you get on. 

Arturo Zambarrano Jr.

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 25, 2012, 08:18:28 AM
No problem chris.  I just talked to my dad, and he mentioned batangas? 

Christoph Piezonka

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
May 28, 2012, 02:37:02 AM
Hallo,
I stay on Batanes (Shanedels Inn) 40 days, because its so wonderfull, went fishing many times and tryed all the different technics.
 In perfect conditions I could rise only 1 small Gt, thats all. For sure not the best place for Popper-fishing... . I also talked to many
 different fisherman and all tell the same." GTs, no very seldom." Some spots on Palawan are much better in my opinion. Most
 shallow areas on the Philippines are overfished and damaged but deepwater-jigging can be superb!

Christoph