warren clark

Fish a stickbait will catch
March 03, 2008, 07:26:38 PM
I just received my Swains Reef  supply of Wahoo, Ulua and Baby runboh stickbaits  and was wondering what fish have been caught or I could expect to catch on these lures. Thanks Warren

Stephen Polzin

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Fish a stickbait will catch
March 03, 2008, 07:56:16 PM
Red bass, Green Jobfish, Spaniards, Coral Trout, Barracuda, Cod and most species of trevally.  That's what mine have caught anyway.

Cairns Bommie Basher

Aaron Concord

March 03, 2008, 09:39:13 PM
Spaniards, wahoo, dogtooth tuna, yellowfin tuna, mack tuna, striped tuna, shark mackerel, green jobfish, red bass, all types of epmerors, coral trout, black marlin, salifish, Giant trevally and their closest 15 cousins!!!.....haven't seen a predatory fish knock back a sticky before.....
These are species I have caught, filmed caught or photographed caught on them....so far!!!
Biggest doggie...75kg
Biggest wahoo 37kg
Biggest GT...55kg
Biggest Coral Trout...30+kg
Biggest Red Bass...a 12kg bruiser.
Largest marlin...150kg, though far larger have been hooked!!!

Short version....they may appear "rudimentary" though they are serious big fish lures, so rig them accordingly :)

Aaron.

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
March 03, 2008, 10:13:42 PM
Spaniards, wahoo, dogtooth tuna, yellowfin tuna, mack tuna, striped tuna, shark mackerel, green jobfish, red bass, all types of epmerors, coral trout, black marlin, salifish, Giant trevally and their closest 15 cousins!!!.....haven't seen a predatory fish knock back a sticky before.....
These are species I have caught, filmed caught or photographed caught on them....so far!!!
Biggest doggie...75kg
Biggest wahoo 37kg
Biggest GT...55kg
Biggest Coral Trout...30+kg
Biggest Red Bass...a 12kg bruiser.
Largest marlin...150kg, though far larger have been hooked!!!

Short version....they may appear "rudimentary" though they are serious big fish lures, so rig them accordingly :)

Aaron.

Go catch a bigger GT on a popper you poof  ;D

Stickbait  ::) :P

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 03, 2008, 10:50:32 PM
I am very impressed with the coral trout that is pushing towards 70lb  :o
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Aaron Concord

March 10, 2008, 09:28:53 PM
Brandon,
30kg of Trout have Demonic Heads!!!
The teeth are ridiculous!!!
They also just seem plain wrong...Nuclear Mutant Coral Trout.
Filmed a few guys lose on 90-130lb when the lure went a tad shallow.
1.5m of Trout will win in 1m of water...everytime!!! 8)

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 10, 2008, 09:49:58 PM
Aaron, I can't even imagine a coral trout of that size. I've caught a couple that might have pushed 20kg and they look prehistoric. I can't even imagine how fat a trout of 30kg would be. Hopefully, I can get one that size at Marion. That would make me very happy indeed!  ;D

I find with the big trout that they are generally good for one ferocious run but if you manage to stop and turn them, you've broken them. I'm not sure about one that size though!

Aaron Concord

March 10, 2008, 09:56:55 PM
Brandon,
My first trip to Wreck Reef, I nearly fell over the side when a 12kg model came aboard. It was AVERAGE ???
One angler, as Scott Banerott put it, caught 4 Trout of a lifetime in one day...the first one was around 15kg, the 4th one being 20-22kg stick bait-eating-honker.
They MAY only have one run in them, though 30kg of ANYTHING will smash you in a metre of coral studded water, especially if it's an 80m cast that you hooked it on. They don't need to pull drag. They just go down :D

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
March 10, 2008, 11:46:42 PM
It's also amazing to se how deep big trout will come from to smash a blooper/stick. We've had them come up from 30m! :o

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 11, 2008, 12:25:52 AM
Check this , guys . A grouper caught by popping .

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 12, 2008, 07:26:20 PM
I used to think a 10kg trout was ridiculous. Years ago, we never even saw fish beyond this size because they would just destroy you.

Aaron, if you,re going to cast long distance into one metre of coral encrusted ground, you're asking for it!

Graham Scott

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
March 14, 2008, 07:01:46 PM
 We were catching cod about the same size as that Groper off the rod tip in 2m of water in shoalwater bay, about 4 of the beasts were actually hiding under our boat like we were the bommie.  I only needed resuscitation twice! Sounds like you guys are starting to find your way around up there too.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 14, 2008, 07:25:45 PM
not often enough, Graham, as we can only get up there once a year - unless you're volunteering to take us there another time.......   ;D

Santosh Shanmuga

March 15, 2008, 07:29:12 AM
I've seen large cubrera snapper hit a stickbait. I've even seen a 300lb goliath grouper hit a Yo-Zuri walkbait...

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
March 17, 2008, 12:23:54 PM
Groupers are fun  :D