Chris Webster

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Hi Guys,

I hear different things from different people.

I have seen some twists so tight they are quite hard to attach to the mainline.

Thoughts?

Chris

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
Mine are quite tight, and just enough of a loop at the end to thread the braid through. I make mine using a drill , so they come up nice and tight.

Ross Smith

• Fusilier
  • Liked:

I used twisted leaders until l was shown the PR knot, it is easier to make, all you need is a bobbin,
       now l wouldn't bother with twisted leaders, if you get busted off its usually the braid/main line that gives
       and you have to tie a new bimini to your braid then attach the pre made twisted leader.

With the PR knot you do it all in one go using a single strand of heavy leader that ties directly to your
       braid using the bobbin by the time you tie a new bim and attach it to your twisted leader with a cats
       paw etc you could have tied two PR knots and l find the PR runs through the guides smoother.

Look up the PR knot on the net and see for yourself, twisted leaders do however give you 2 strands of
       leader material in the leader the PR only gives you one.

Cheers
Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 12:12:48 PM by Ross Smith

Warwick Joyce

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Chris, I no longer use twisted leaders but when I did I liked them fairly tight. Usually around 1.5 twists per inch.
I found the more twists the more stretch you will get, a twisted leader can act like a massive spring.

I have also seen twisty's that are only just twisted to the point where they might as well not be twisted at all :o
You are right about them being hard to attach to the mainline! A simple cats-paw made hard!

Callan Wallace

Chris, I use twisted leaders all the time and you are right, some of them get so tight that you can hardly thread the braid. I think that is a little too tight. I twist up 100lb and I like the loop to be about 1cm long. That way it is easier to attach the braid. As for speed of leader replacement on the boat, a quick short bimini and the loop to loop connection takes about 2 minutes. I always have a swivel and split ring already attached to the twisted leader. I store a bunch already made up in a small round margarine container ready to go.

Michael Gordon

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Bearing in mind how popular twisted leaders were in GT popping a few years ago can those that don"t use them any more give some reasons why please?

Warwick Joyce

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Hi Michael, for me going away from twisted leaders was for increased strike rate in heavily fished area's. I still normally carry one or two just in case the unstoppable are about.
I also don't see the need for the extra abrasion and shock resistance of a 130lb twisted vs a 200-300lb single (in my area anyway).
On the flip side, a bit further north into shoalwater bay a twisted may prove to be a necessity :o

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Bearing in mind how popular twisted leaders were in GT popping a few years ago can those that don"t use them any more give some reasons why please?

Twisties were in my mind a complicated solution to a simple problem.  It is just much simpler fishing with a single strand leader.

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:

Michael,

I was a huge fan of twisted leaders and used them very successfully.
That was until my bimini caught around my stripper guide and completely tore it off......so I gave them away and only use single strand with the FG knot now.

Far easier system all round without the worry of a double catching on one of your guides.

Pete

Michael Gordon

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Thanks guys,nice to hear someone elses viewpoint.I am trying to make the switch from twisties to single strand myself.I just need to get a bit more confident tying that FG knot & I will be sorted.

Ross Smith

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
I also found that where l joined the bim to the twisty using a cats paw, this connection would at times get caught in the frame of the tip guide as l reeled in line to get ready for the next cast. Especially when l used a hard leader material to make the twisty. Maybe my connection needed some refining but l will now stick to the PR knot as l have had no such problem with it.

cheers Ross

Stu Hardy

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
IS anyone using JB hollow and a simple splice instead of a PR of FG knot for a single strand leader?

Ben Yeo

• Fusilier
  • What!? How Much?... But I only want One!!
  • Liked:
IS anyone using JB hollow and a simple splice instead of a PR of FG knot for a single strand leader?

Hi Stu,

Yes, I use both actually. But normal rig is JB 80# hollow and 130 Mono inserted. Solid braid into the hollow at the other end.

Almost completely seamless and cast like a dream.

Downside, more time consuming to make and therefore need to spend time preparing leaders at home.

Ross Smith

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
How long does it take to make a JB hollow splice from start to finish ?

Ben Yeo

• Fusilier
  • What!? How Much?... But I only want One!!
  • Liked:
How long does it take to make a JB hollow splice from start to finish ?

Well it really depends on proficiency, tools and practice.
Used to take me about 20-25 mins (yes I am meticulous and anal when it comes to knots - lessons learned  :-[) now It takes 10-15 mins

The tedious part is tying the nail knot serve and synching it till it compresses and turns translucent while maintaining the mainline and mono under significant tension ( i use about 20Kgs of tension). Having the nail knot sit over the JB as close to the point where the mono enters without getting onto the mono at all. I tie 2X15 turn nail knots bak to back for added insurance.