Shaun Ossitt

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Hammerheads V's Kronik Big Boppers
June 23, 2012, 11:47:35 PM
Hi Guys,

I know the hammerhead range of poppers seems to be pretty poppular, but how do some of the cheaper copies stack up against them?

I picked up one of the kronik poppers that looks almost identical to a hammerhead, are they any good?

Will they catch GT's as well as other brands?

Quite a few people have told me that the haymaker Halcos are great Gt poppers also,  I've always brought expensive lures over cheaper ones, as they generally have alot more technology behind them, better finishes, better internal rattles etc but with GT lures what separates the cheaper from the expensive?

Help please.......
"The only place success comes before work is in the Dictionary"

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: Hammerheads V's Kronik Big Boppers
June 24, 2012, 10:13:58 AM
Kroniks have been sold locally under a few other names like Big Mouth, OK and a few others. The producer is an OEM producer who will put whatever name you want on them. I've bought them in Asia before for something like $15 each and that was retail so this will give you some idea of the profit margin on these.

They look good but from my experience with the OK poppers, I found the paint scratches off quite easily and then the lure becomes waterlogged. I reckon you'd be better off with the Roostas.
Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 01:20:37 PM by Brandon Khoo
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 24, 2012, 12:19:11 PM
You can buy the Kronik rip-offs for $12 to $20 in Indonesia and elsewhere in Asia. The finishes are pretty awful.  Wiring seems OK-ish and any problem on that front would probably be with the belly swivel.

I would agree with Brandon that Roostas are a better bet.

Another alternative you have is to shop around when you are on holiday in Asia.  You can find originals of well regarded mid-market poppers for about $25 (same ones retail in Australia for around $50).

As for your question" "......with GT lures what separates the cheaper from the expensive?". I would say:

Quality of finish
Quality of wiring and swivel
Research and development

All that being said, there are some expensive GT lures which fail badly on the quality of finish especially. With experience, you just learn not to waste money on those :).

Shaun Ossitt

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
June 25, 2012, 12:47:23 PM
Okay,

Thanks for the feedback guys...

I had a cast with a Kronik on the weekend and It seemed to work okay... Roosters seem pretty popular for the coin too...

Looking at an Exmouth visit very soon...

Have the rod and reel and all the terminal gear, but the smaller poppers we use in SA on Kings are completely different to those used for GT's

Thanks again for the useful advise...

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
June 25, 2012, 06:20:48 PM
Hi Shaun,

The Kronik's and other similar knock-offs work, simply because they are that - copies/knock-offs. The are economically affordable and justifiable given the high turn-over rates of lures in GT fishing  :o

However, one must not forget that...some like to purchase original equipments for the sheer reason that they (I) enjoy doing so, it creates a "collection" and I have an established trust with that brand. The purchase also goes a long way to supporting these boutique companies that invest a lot of heart, soul and innovative genius into their creations. Some developments in this sector of fishing pave the way for many other conceptions and developments in the bigger picture fishing industry.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 25, 2012, 06:23:16 PM
A round of applause to that Luke. Spot on mate.

Nathan Tsao

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
June 27, 2012, 07:52:31 AM
Just be aware that this can happen with some of the less costly lures out there.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
This is the third Heru belly swivel i've had break on me while fishing for GT from the shore in the past two seasons.
Went out yesterday to take the dog for a walk after work and hooked up to a decent GT, then SNAP! No mo belly hook :(

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 27, 2012, 09:59:48 AM
A top quality swivel costs very little money. For example I buy NT 2/0 swivels retail for about 50 cents each. That makes you wonder why even low end manufacturers don't use them  ???.

Shaun Ossitt

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
June 30, 2012, 03:39:40 PM
I've picked up a few hammerheads now, plus a jai big head, Nomad Cubera 150 and a Nomad skip jack 230. Add this to a a few roosta's and my first GT popper the Kronik I think I have enough to tackle some Exmouth GT's...

Although a carpeter sea frog might be added too.

Ando, I'll probably grab one or two of your creations before I head up too...

Cheers Shauno

Sam Morrison

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
June 30, 2012, 04:16:55 PM
A top quality swivel costs very little money. For example I buy NT 2/0 swivels retail for about 50 cents each. That makes you wonder why even low end manufacturers don't use them  ???.

Thats 48 cents more than what they are willing to pay Mark!!!  ;D

All about unit cost...

Craig Maree

• Red Bass
  • Release the GT
  • Liked:
June 30, 2012, 08:37:42 PM
Didn't know that you could get a skipjack in the 230 size.

I've picked up a few hammerheads now, plus a jai big head, Nomad Cubera 150 and a Nomad skip jack 230. Add this to a a few roosta's and my first GT popper the Kronik I think I have enough to tackle some Exmouth GT's...

Although a carpeter sea frog might be added too.

Ando, I'll probably grab one or two of your creations before I head up too...

Cheers Shauno
Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 08:47:03 PM by Craig Maree
Atoll Hunter GT Popping
www.facebook.com/atollhunter

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 30, 2012, 08:51:12 PM
A Skipjack 150 is 230 mm long - that might be what Shaun refers to.

Craig Maree

• Red Bass
  • Release the GT
  • Liked:
July 01, 2012, 12:33:24 AM
Thanks Mark that clears it up.
Atoll Hunter GT Popping
www.facebook.com/atollhunter

Richard Ghalayini

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 04, 2012, 09:55:49 AM
Where does Kronik originate from? where are they made?? They look very similar to the US Maniac lures....

Cheers Rich

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 04, 2012, 09:14:31 PM
My guess is that Kroniks are made in China.

Could well be that Maniac is another branding form the same OEM producer.