Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Stickbaits and poppers in carry on luggage
August 21, 2012, 06:46:07 AM
it does come down very much to the individual and you do come upon the odd incredibly over-zealous moron.
I got pulled up recently by one idiot who questioned a tiny SS lure I use as a key ring. I've attached a photo of the SS lure in question next to a 135PP Sea Frog. Looks deadly, doesn't it? I really would have liked him to explain what on earth you could actually do with that lure that would be dangerous short of choking to death from trying to eat it!

Unbelievably, that is the second time I have been pulled up from this lure.

If it swims; I want to catch it!

Roger Mortimore

August 24, 2012, 06:14:34 AM
I've travelled extensively for years to many countries and done a round-the-world  trip, in those days I never had to pay for rod carriage. These days however, Norway, El Salvador and Finland, and wherever, I've had to pay for the rods with various airlines. Reels in hand luggage are a no-no unless there's no line on them, lures I've never had a problem with as I usually carry my camera kit on the plane. Just use a bit of common sense and put all sharp objects and liquids in your check-in baggage.

Doug Terry

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
August 26, 2012, 09:38:04 PM
If it helps Virgin Alantic allow you to carry I piece of sporting equipment free of charge on their planes.

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
August 31, 2012, 12:42:32 PM
Last time I travelled to New Caledonia my mate had a whole bunch of big knife jigs in his carry-on... got pulled up every time we went through security but just explained what they were for and he was able to take them through.

chris marshall

November 06, 2012, 08:04:46 AM
i've never had a problem with poppers and stickbaits in hand luggage but knife jigs are a bit 50/50... i've had to go put them through checked luggage before a couple of times.  i've even been pulled up a few times with the line on my reels... anyone else had this?

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 06, 2012, 08:17:42 AM
Jigs get pulled up quite regularly but poppers and stickbaits can as well depending on how big they are. Konishi San got pulled up at Sydney security in January on the way to NC because they were concerned that the giant gammas could be used as a club. In the end, they let him through.

Imagine getting all your monster gammas confiscated!! :'(
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Neville Haglund

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 09, 2013, 03:26:57 PM
Why risk it,yes imagine having all your Gammas confiscated by a fisherman wearing a customs uniform!!!
My confidence with luggage handlers is so low that I always allow at least one extra day before an overseas charter like a Nomad one so if the idiots loose it you have at least one day for them to find it.
Pop it, pop it, rip it, rip it, eat it, eat it, tight line, FISH ON, YES!