Stu Hardy

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Stickbaits and poppers in carry on luggage
August 19, 2012, 11:54:50 AM
A few mates and I are off to Noumea this week, and I would like to know if anyone has had difficulties with airport security with unrigged lures in their carry on luggage?

Thanks in advance.

Chris Webster

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Re: Stickbaits and poppers in carry on luggage
August 19, 2012, 12:13:52 PM
Carried them twice been searched and questioned twice. Apparently the issue is with the lead. Just expalin what ther are and as long as security are complete wankers you will be fine.

Just my opinion.

Chris

Graham Stevenson

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
August 19, 2012, 06:04:29 PM
I never do it. Not worth the risk at getting turned back. In my experience it's up to the discretion of the security guy at the gate and they tend to be risk averse and stop them. However sure that other people have got them through !

Andrew Susani

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
August 19, 2012, 06:10:19 PM
Yeah I wouldn't risk it, there is no way you could be sure that the ridiculous security levels would not let them past.

Is there a website or somewhere that you can ask questions like this to someone who could give you a straight answer?
Focus on the pop

Nick Wykeham-Martin

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
August 19, 2012, 06:44:07 PM
Ive never had an issues with stickbaits in hand luggage. I used to also take my reels with braid on the spools in hand luggage as well but i understand some people have had issues with this so think i will check in the spools in future.

Peter Olesen

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
August 19, 2012, 07:19:31 PM
I took the chance and had 6 or 8 jigs in 2-300 gram range in my carry on luggage in april. They  recalled my check in luggage and told me to put it in there. They explained to me: "you cannot carry a gun or a knife on the plane"...  ;D

Of course, stickbaits and poppers has less density but they could still be used as a club - especially the ones with lead in the rear  :o
"If I had more time, I would have written a shorter letter." Mark Twain

Nick Bowles

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
August 19, 2012, 08:31:28 PM
Hi Stu, I carry both jigs and stickbaits in my carry on luggage a lot and to a load of different places. I get stopped every time but if you explain that they are fishing lures and expensive and you want to keep them close they normally let you through. Just make sure that you have taken off all the hooks and leaders.

Cheers,
Nick

Stu Hardy

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
August 20, 2012, 04:55:03 AM
Thanks guys. The only reason I am considering it is that my checked bag is already close to the limit of 23kg.

Chris Webster

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
August 20, 2012, 07:18:36 AM
Thanks guys. The only reason I am considering it is that my checked bag is already close to the limit of 23kg.

Stu who are you flying with?
On some airlines you can purchase additional weight prior to flying.
Check with your travel agent or if purchased online, just call the airline.

Chris

Stu Hardy

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
August 20, 2012, 07:50:43 AM
Thanks Cris. Flying Air NZ, although I think the plane is Air Cal. The best plan might be to just wear all my clothes! Might not risk the stickbaits in carry on, will need to re weigh the bag.

Yaniv Adler

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
August 20, 2012, 07:58:05 AM
Hi Stu, I carry both jigs and stickbaits in my carry on luggage a lot and to a load of different places. I get stopped every time but if you explain that they are fishing lures and expensive and you want to keep them close they normally let you through. Just make sure that you have taken off all the hooks and leaders.

Cheers,
Nick

Right on nick I take al my stick bait's popper's and reel's on my carry on and never had any
Problem (no hooks) but not my jigs ...I will do so next time ...

harley ray

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
August 20, 2012, 05:37:50 PM

How are you transporting your rods?
I plan on taping two pieces of PVC pipe together one for the rods the other for jigs popper etc this way i can push the weight limit on my checked and sporting goods with the added bonus of my rods not rolling around.And keep my carry on for my reels

Stu Hardy

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
August 20, 2012, 07:11:12 PM
Rods are in a innova rod tube, may pack a few stickbaits around them. Too much gear! Certainly going to take the reels in carry on, without the spools though as I have had problems with the security guys and braid before.

Graham Stevenson

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
August 20, 2012, 07:38:17 PM
Interesting mix of experiences which only reinforces my view that it's up to the security guy at the gate !
Stu - if travelling out of NZ Qantas is the only one that allows you to buy additional luggage allowance.
Check Air NZ website as they have changed their rules and you'll probably end up paying for the rod tube even if you're under 23 Kg - they work on items of baggage as well as weight.
From my experience Air Calin were the most generous - checking in at noumea they just waved my excess through !
Off with Nomad in September and I'm looking at about $200 NZ each way to Cairns - might need to drop the Kitchen Sink !

Charles Cintron

• Red Bass
  • Waianae, Hawaii
  • Liked:
August 21, 2012, 04:16:45 AM
I do quite a bit of traveling and I've taken all sorts of GT size lures through security with no problem, but it all comes down to the individual at security. If your paying big bucks for a fishing charter I would just pack them, when I travel I'm more worried about my reels and those are usually in my carry on.
GT FIGHT CLUB