Robert Tapert

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
twisted Braid
September 25, 2012, 06:40:25 AM
HI

On my  recent trip I struggled with  twist in my  braid. I was using 100 LB Jerry  Brown hollow spliced to 130 lb for the last 20 M or so.  I had the line placed on the spools by a technique that  should have eliminated twisting from spooling the reel.  After a few days of casting I got terrible twists in my  line. I even tried dragging the line behind the boat  to  get  out the twist. That  really  didn't help either.  I am wondering if the splice in some way promoted more twisting?  I cut off the 130 LB to see if that  would help and it seemed to allow the twisting to come out when I trolled the line behind the boat.  Has anyone else had line twist  issues with the flatter JB line?

thanks

Rob

Nathan Tsao

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: twisted Braid
September 25, 2012, 09:16:30 AM
The JB Hollowcore is notorious for exactly the type of twisting you describe. There was probably nothing wrong with what you were doing, but you may want to double check your Line Roller Bearing to make sure that it is spinning freely while under line tension. It is the nature of all spinning reels to twist your line; the flat hollowcore just accentuates the twist more visibly than with a round line.
When i used to run JB hollowcore on my spinners from the shoreline, it really cut down on my distance on the long rods once the twist got bad enough.
Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 09:21:30 AM by Nathan Tsao