Scott Maybury

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Cairns to Bligh Reef 2012
October 07, 2012, 05:47:42 PM
I recently had the privilege of fishing with Nomad Sportfishing departing Cairns 14 September and arriving Portland Roads 24 September. It was a really special trip because my dad was with me, we got to fish a huge amount of water and we had nice weather (except for two days which were 25 knots or so, but still very fishable).

The trip consisted of departings Cairns friday evening, motoring until about 2pm the next day on the mothership then a quick 2 hour session. THe next day we had a good fish until about 2pm then a 30 mile run in the small boats, then we progressively fished out way north, staying at the same anchorage a few times, fishing 12-20 miles north per day etc.

The variety of popping and light tackle species caught was mind boggling. Some really nice fish were taken on both light and heavy gear in the shallows. Several 'fish of a lifetime' were taken, including me getting the Maori Wrasse I have been wanting for a while (in fact I landed 5 for the trip....from 13 confirmed hook ups. Dirty and powerful!), a 38lb Coral Trout, a fairly large Trigger Fish (on a stick shad)....my dad got some really nice GT in really shallow water and a doggie on popper....I guess the list could go on but I will let some of the photos do the talking there.

The fishing was good to sensational. There were the few mandatory slow sessions but by and large it was just really consistent and a lot of fun. There were days where boats chasing GT landed well over 20 (I think one of the boats landed over 30 one day) and quite a few decent size fish of 30kg+. I got properly smoked by a big GT on the final morning fishing. It peeled at least 100m of line off in one run without slowing, before pinging me on a bommie. It literally left me shaking (and swearing).

Here is a summary of the variety. One day we had a chance at some sailfish and missed them, I hooked up a small black marlin which charged the boat and jumped, throwing the hook. We caught yellowfin and dogtooth, then, after morning tea (!) we caught a few GT and finished the day with an epic shallows session.

On another day we stopped for lunch on a sand cay for 20 minutes or so. 4 1/2 hours we left, after catching 14 species casting the shallows all around the cay. You will see a photo of me nearly neck deep trying (unsuccessfully) to extract a wrasse that had me bricked, a large 'cuda caught in 2 feet of water and other pics from this session. Just as well there were a few fish around too, since Glanny misjudged the timing and we were in fact stranded there until the tide change haha....

Big respect to my dad too, you will see him bending on a nice GT and although he had to resort to holding the rod with his wrists at one stage, he would not hand over the rod. You can see him slumped in the cage of the Contender afterwards, a spent force haha.

Anyway, here are the pics.

special mention to this clever longtom which tried to eat my lure and snapped his beak off in the hook eye!

Nathan Cefai

• Giant Trevally
  • Reel Men Smoke Stellas
  • Liked:
Re: Cairns to Bligh Reef 2012
October 07, 2012, 06:54:15 PM
Cracking report Scott,good results as always from the reefs up there,glad you got some good weather... :)

Graham Stevenson

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 07, 2012, 07:32:51 PM
thanks for posting the report Scott - was getting myself organised to do it myself but not good at posting photos - last centurys computer doesn't help.
Great trip with spectacular weather , great fishing and great bunch of people - including Scott who kept us amused with his antics ! A few new faces on the Nomad crew to me and same high standards apply.
My third trip to Bligh and it is my view the best of their locations - variety of fish and environments. Being  a GT obsessive it is the place where I have caught the most GT's if not the biggest ones.
Personal highlights for me were :
1. A day when I caught from memory 8 GT's (biggest 38 Kg),numerous bluefin Trevally ,heaps of Coral Trout and Red Bass , a number of Cod type things , a 5 foot plus barracuda that tail walked around the lagoon , a Maori Wrasse , cast to a Doggie unsuccessfully and lost 5 poppers.
2. The 38 Kg GT was spectacular as it came off a bommie and nailed a cubera about 5 yards from the Contender and then steamed off. Glanny was at full noise chasing it down with a rooster tail coming off the braid in the water.
3. two fish on a popper on at least 3 ocassions.
4. a number of encounters with that ultimate Gt popping by catch - the Maori Wrasse. One landed out of 4 strikes (3 lost poppers). Biggest was one that had Glanny foaming at the mouth from the tower and he estimated at 50 Kg plus. After hook up Glanny was doing doughnuts round the lagoon pulling it away from the bommies and we actually had the leader out of the water (I was just holding on while this was happening) until it found the last bommie in the lagoon and broke me off. Glanny was so disappointed that he retired to the   tower and was quiet for at least 5 minutes - hard to believe I know!
5. A yellowfin Tuna (extinct creatures here in NZ) on a popper off the reef edge - Mattys estimation of 40 Kg on the Nomad report is a bit generous - perhaps 25 Kg at a stretch.
6. A monster cod off a school of frothing fusiliers - huge disappointment .
7. watching Scott and company stranded on the sand cay as the tide went out - however the fishing they were forced to endure was spectacular.
8. Having my highest ever tackle bill on a Nomad trip although nowhere near as high as Scotts and if kasey counted his properly nowhere near as high as that !
Great trip and great company

Angus Hulme

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
October 08, 2012, 04:24:45 PM
Scott, this is absolutely sensational reading with brilliant pics! What an awesome trip. Thank you so much for sharing.

Matt Born

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 09, 2012, 05:58:57 AM
Great report Scott!! Love all fish off the flats... Awesome variety!!

A trip with your dad is always special, was just think yest that I should put something together with my old man! Congrats a great trip, and thanks for sharing!

andy cooper

October 09, 2012, 08:21:23 AM
great photos ,i am not at all jealous  >:(

Sam Morrison

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
October 09, 2012, 09:26:08 AM
SICK!

Great report and some stunning shots, thank for sharing  8)

Dan Smith

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 09, 2012, 10:23:42 AM
Awesome report and pics.  We actually crossed paths briefly at the Lockhart River airport as my group was coming in.  I don't know how you guys fished so many days; I was beat after 6.  Nice job on the wrasse; I blew all my shots.

Ben Zamo

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 12, 2012, 02:25:42 PM
WOW! that chinamon in the skinny water is impressive not to mention the trout. 
Fish for the Future

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
October 12, 2012, 03:10:53 PM
Fantastic report Scott-- really enjoyed reading that.

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
October 12, 2012, 07:25:10 PM
Beautifull Stuff Scott,

Came close to going this year but I thought better of it with the kids being a handfull.

The variety is incredible...and that trout looks like a pig..!

Pete

Brian J Richardson

October 13, 2012, 02:33:21 AM
Thanks for sharing your fantastic report.  Fishing off the beach looks like tons of fun and your Dad looks totally stoked.

Alex Jordan

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
October 13, 2012, 04:18:20 AM
Awesome!
Those wrasse are on the bucket list - beautiful colours!

Charles Cintron

• Red Bass
  • Waianae, Hawaii
  • Liked:
October 15, 2012, 10:10:00 AM
Awesome pics with such a huge variety of fish! Got to make it down there one of these days......
GT FIGHT CLUB

Andre van Wyk

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • DARK CONTINENT DARKSTAR RIDER
  • Liked:
October 17, 2012, 11:03:54 PM
Definitely one of the best, and most varied reports I've read in ages!! Massive congrats Scott, the adventure, the fish, and the pictures in particular are sensational!!!!

Always love your reports mate, but this one tops them all in my book!

Superb stuff!
To Ride, Shoot Straight and Speak the Truth...