Simon Thomas

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
All,

My first post after looking for awhile. 

I have a question regarding a family holiday, that I might be able to combine some fishing with.  My wife is currently planning a family holiday (with 3 young children) to the South Pacific for the second half of the year.  She is currently looking at Fiji, but I thought I would try and find out some information regarding fishing so I can make sure I can enjoy some decent fishing while away.  I would like to try get in a day or two that includes some jigging and popping, and maybe even some light shore based stuff. 

Does anyone have any information or opinions on locations (Fiji, Vanuatu etc), good operators, fishing options etc?

I know this is a hard core fishing forum, but surely there are some family guys out there too!!

I look forward to any replies.

Regards,
Simon

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Hi Simon - welcome to the forum.

There are certainly some options available for you in the Pacific Islands.

The one thing to note though is that the scenario isn't any different for Australia from the perspective of the locations you will tend to find good fishing. The majority of the really family friendly areas will also be the more populated areas that are exposed to more continual fishing pressure.Obviously, the quality of the fishing is commensurate.

The better quality fishing will tend to be found in the more remote areas.From my experience, this certainly applies to Fiji and Vanuatu.

That is not to say that you can't find good fishing in these areas though.

Both Fiji and Vanuatu are very well priced for holidays. I know that certainly in Port Vila, there is no shortage in options for fishing charters.

What were you hoping to target?
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Simon Thomas

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Brandon,

I was hoping for the normal fare of smaller GT's, trout and red bass on the poppers and maybe similar plus doggies(?) on jig.  I'm not into trolling for pelagics.

I hope to be able to put a bit of what I learn with Nomad in May/June into use.

Your link between numbers of people and numbers of fish is a good one.  I might have leave mum with the kids for a day (or two if I can swing it) to try to get to a decent spot.

Regards,
Simon

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Simon, another worthwhile option for you may be New Caledonia. If you can arrange a couple of days' fishing, you might be able to get a couple of days out with Le Poisson Banane.
If it swims; I want to catch it!