Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Thanks Brad, appreciated :)

And yes Jon, our mutual friend Mr Rowe was a star at taming the big fish on this trip  8).
Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 10:57:53 PM by Mark Harris

Charles Cintron

• Red Bass
  • Waianae, Hawaii
  • Liked:
Fantastic fishing Mark! any theories as to why the stickbaits were getting no action?
GT FIGHT CLUB

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Thanks Charles.

On the stickbaits - God only knows really! That being said, most of the big GT action was in quite violent surf and stickbaits tend to get lost in those conditions. Personally I was finding that big GT stickbaits were getting no response until they reached the calmer, slightly deeper water close to the boat when the other trevallies would smash them. Clearly the Yellow-spot Trevallies especially were hanging away from the surf where the GTs reigned supreme.

So, occurrences like this - big GT stickbaits with Yellow-spot Trevally:

At a different time in different conditions, I am sure stickbaits would be the go and not chuggers.

Eric Tai

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Awesome report Mark! thanks for taking the time to share  :)

Al Morrison

Mark,

Just read this, lovely fish and obviously a must do trip. Well done.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Al... very long time no hear... trust all is good with you?

Southern Oman is a trip which you and the other "old men" would really enjoy  8).

Al Morrison

Mark,

Yes i agree, we have the "Montes old men" trip coming up shortly, and yes Oman looks like a possible 2013 option. So many trips, so little time.

All good here, back in the UK - so its pike and barbel again for a few weeks before heading home WA. Is Bali any good in may? Missus is looking at some trip with friends there .... so i might sneak over.

John Cahill

• Fusilier
  • www.ebbtidetackle.com
  • Liked:
Insane Mark - insane....
ebbtidetackle.com

Richard Peel

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
Thanks Mark for a very informative post, and looks like you guys had a great time!! Great stuff...and an AJ on topwater  - awesome!!! Congrats!!!
Yep, several of us on this forum fished the Halliniyats last March for a couple of days (too short!!!), and had the same result on the sticks - a big fat zero. How and why I have no idea  - in Musandam, sticks work well for the GTs as well as sails/kings etc, and the Halliniyat marks we fished looked super-fishy with good current around structure but free of that nasty chop that can make sticks tricky to work. Poppers did produce however, with - despite the pricey lures some us were chucking out  :P - the humble Halco Rooster Popper (upgraded with de-barbed  Owner ST 76s/Shout singles) bringing in the best results at various marks. I remember one particular spot, which to my "untrained Halliniyat eye" looked like a fish desert, where Ed showed us he clearly knew better, with the fish going crazy ape bananas in a mad hour or two of action, and  we put some healthy fish on the boat.
Inshore light tackle action was also great - tons of trevs/bream/queens etc. Just have to nail those bluefish next time...not whacked them since Ras Madrakah around 5 years ago.
Anyway, awesome report and pics again Mark, thanks. We are booked for next March...... can't wait!!!  :D

Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 07:02:53 AM by Richard Peel

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Yep, several of us on this forum fished the Halliniyats last March for a couple of days (too short!!!), and had the same result on the sticks - a big fat zero.

It's interesting, I fished Hallaniyats in early March and the fishing was shut down... the only GTs we got were on stickbaits. Poppers wouldn't even get a sniff  :-\

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Thank you very much Richard.

On sticks versus poppers, I am sure different times will bring different results.

Also of note was that I fished with long pencils a fair bit and I can vididly remember 2 occasions (the images are imprinted in my brain  :( ) when big GTs came out of the surf chasing my pencil only to turn away and hit one of my colleagues' chugger. I guess that is good evidence that on this occasion the fish were responding best to the noise and splash of chuggers.

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 04:38:46 PM by Andy Rowe
Set the ray to GeeT

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Great stuff Andy.

Just on the tackle notes. Totally with you on the need for PE10. I will never be so stupid again as to cast PE8 over those shallow reefs.  A huge doses of humble pie from me on that - you and Ed were dead right and I was very wrong.  The number of huge fish I lost is 100% telling.

And I am less anti-singles than I was :) (I can hear you chuckling from here!) .

For a self-confessed "lazy fisherman" you do very well mate!

Can only re-iterate your comments about the sheer quality of Ed and Angela's operation and hospitality, and the fine company from yourself and Pablo, and of course the two Andys and Roger on the other boat.

Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 03:08:20 PM by Mark Harris

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
some more photos added
Set the ray to GeeT

Andy Klaus

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
Wow, great fishing.. What reels would you guys recommend or had on for your PE10 popping gears? Had just acquired a Stella 20,000SW but felt quite heavy and bulky for me. Should i keep it or is there a smaller alternative i can probably try my luck on? Thanks!