David Clumpner

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
New Record GT?
March 28, 2008, 03:12:53 PM
I've seen the word 'record' alongside a few 60kg+ GT pictures, but here's another on the Hammerhead site:

http://www.hammer-head.jp/

Click on Japanese, then Gallery, then David's report from New Caledonia.

There's some BIG fish there!  btw, what IS the GT record, if there is one?  I know it must be hard to properly weigh a 60kg+ fish and still get it back into the water alive.

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
Re: New Record GT?
March 28, 2008, 03:21:29 PM
Awesome fish isn't it!!!!

As far as I am aware, that fish is the second biggest released, popper caught GT that I am aware of (estimated). The biggest caught and released was taken by Nomad - some 68kg of Silver Brute (weighed, scales).

There have been bigger fish caught, the only one I know for sure on popping tackle was taken while popping land-based in Tokara only last year (72kg) - sadly, it was not released  :(

There have been GTs speared and sighted in excess of 90kgs in Hawaii, and we know fish exist that big in places like the Coral Sea/Shoalwater, Australia and New Caledonia.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 28, 2008, 05:03:21 PM
David, are you asking about the biggest GT captured on rod and reel or just the biggest GT seen anywhere?
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Stephen Polzin

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
March 28, 2008, 09:14:48 PM
Here's the biggest GT I've seen on the net

Cairns Bommie Basher

Andre van Wyk

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • DARK CONTINENT DARKSTAR RIDER
  • Liked:
March 28, 2008, 11:18:34 PM
That is an epic report on Hammer-Head from David.... Unreal fish... and that Doggi taken on a topwater in such shallow water.... I would love to have seen that Stella scream and smoke when that beast took off.... unreal!

I found this image a year or so back.... Taken by the Spearo in picture...I think somewhere in OZ.... Pity it was shot rather than released...

Image is misleading, and I don't recall if a weight was ever given... size fish though... There are a number of Monsters that have been taken by spearos over the years....and from all over the world too... Hawaii, Mozambique, Kenya, OZ and I'm sure from other areas of the Pacific.... I'm sure there are a couple 200lb GT beasts that are swimming around out there, but I think that we don't yet have the tackle to take them on poppers..... unless one is decidedly lucky and hooks one that is swimming between two bommies a mile apart and just sand in between..... ;D
Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 11:33:06 PM by Andre van Wyk
To Ride, Shoot Straight and Speak the Truth...

David Clumpner

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 28, 2008, 11:46:14 PM
David, are you asking about the biggest GT captured on rod and reel or just the biggest GT seen anywhere?

I didn't know what I was asking, but I suppose it was the largest GT taken on popping gear?

Luke, I had no idea Tokara was so good for GTs (and I'm close, just SW in the Keramas).  I can't even imagine fighting a 72kg fish from land without losing it..  incredible!  Hopefully it wasn't a female.

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
March 29, 2008, 02:51:43 PM

I didn't know what I was asking, but I suppose it was the largest GT taken on popping gear?

Luke, I had no idea Tokara was so good for GTs (and I'm close, just SW in the Keramas).  I can't even imagine fighting a 72kg fish from land without losing it..  incredible!  Hopefully it wasn't a female.

Tokara would be an awesome place to start since it is so close to you, anywhere in the Ryukyu islands for that fact where there are GT habitats. I know of countless numbers of GTs over 50kg taken there - it is a true big fish area, however, it seems that the fish are wising up to popper techniques - popper anglers have started to vary popping styles and strategies in order to continue to catch them. If you get a chance, see the Tokara segment on Legends 5 featuring Kozo Okubo.

You'll have to invite me over David when you start nailing some monsters ;) ;) ;) ;D

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
March 29, 2008, 02:56:01 PM
That is an epic report on Hammer-Head from David.... Unreal fish... and that Doggi taken on a topwater in such shallow water.... I would love to have seen that Stella scream and smoke when that beast took off.... unreal!

I found this image a year or so back.... Taken by the Spearo in picture...I think somewhere in OZ.... Pity it was shot rather than released...

Image is misleading, and I don't recall if a weight was ever given... size fish though... There are a number of Monsters that have been taken by spearos over the years....and from all over the world too... Hawaii, Mozambique, Kenya, OZ and I'm sure from other areas of the Pacific.... I'm sure there are a couple 200lb GT beasts that are swimming around out there, but I think that we don't yet have the tackle to take them on poppers..... unless one is decidedly lucky and hooks one that is swimming between two bommies a mile apart and just sand in between..... ;D

Without a doubt there are 200lb+ monsters out there, and in higher numbers than we probably think! How big are the pacific and indian oceans where these blokes hang out!

I still think it can be done with modern popping tackle - I would much rather land one of those bastards than win lotto!

Shame about that GT - bet you it's carcass was dumped. Makes me CRINGE :-[ :-[ :'( :'(

Sachin Chaudhry

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
March 31, 2008, 11:32:54 PM
I read a report a few years ago where it said a commercial fisherman in Mozi got a GT that weighed in at 101 kg. [/b] The heaviest one I know that has been officially weighed in Fiji was 68 kg. It was sold to a local butcher/fishmonger hence the verification of the weight. Taken on a homemade popper and 200lb handline. Some old school guys have caught tremendous GTs with this method but they are of the commercial persuasion.

Aerospace

April 10, 2008, 06:51:00 PM
I heard of a friend in the Seychelles who caught a 69kg beast in the last month...source is good as he is a fishing guide in the seychelles and a friend. I will try to get some photos from him and post them.

Sachin Chaudhry

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
April 12, 2008, 09:20:14 AM
I agree that the GTs grow well in excess of the resords we have at the moment. I also agree with Luke that they do wise up to fishing pressure. I recall watching a Midway Islands video and with the underwater cam you could see many 20 to 30kg GT in the topwater but the real bruisers hung out in deeper water and were more solitary in nature. This is also borne out by the spearos I speak to in Fiji. They reckon the bigger fish tend to be deeper and come to the top but not as much as the smaller fish. A local GT legend here has caught many 100 pounders says that more ofter than not he caught the bigger fish jigging deep. I guess it depends on the location though.

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 12, 2008, 10:23:42 AM
Here is some info on the 72kg GT Luke mentioned earlier

Angler - Keika Hamasaki
Fish weight - 160lb 7oz (72.8kg) 
Location - From the surf of Tokara, Kagoshima (Japan)

ROD : ZENAQ JIGGER TRUST FOKEETO FC83-7 Trevally

REEL : DAIWA SALTIGA-Z 6000GT + STUDIO OceanMark
 CUSTOM SPOOL ST6500V?

LINE : YGK YOZ-AMI GALIS ULTRAJIGMAN X8 #8 113Lbs

SPACER : SUNLINE DEEP ONE #30 220Lbs

LEADER : Momoi's Hi-Catch NYLON LEADER #94 250Lbs

FIGHTING LEADER : YGK YOZ-AMI SEAHUNTER #80 330Lbs

LURE : TIDEPOOL Agopen 20cm 120g 2HookModel

HOOK : OWNER STINGER-76 TREBLES 5/0 (PROTO)
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 12, 2008, 12:55:45 PM
To hook a fish of that size in the surf is really damn lucky - both from the point of view of hooking a fish that big from the shore but also in the sense that it is wide open spaces where it can't cut you off on anything.

Mind you, a fish that size would comfortably spool you if it decided to run straight out and continue in that direction.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Sachin Chaudhry

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
April 12, 2008, 04:25:09 PM
spacer : SUNline DEEP ONE #30 220Lbs

leader : Momoi's Hi-Catch NYLON leader #94 250Lbs

FIGHTING leader : ygk yoz-ami seahunter #80 330Lbs

Anyone  want to explain how this set up works??
I am just used to mainline and leader.

Aerospace

April 13, 2008, 01:28:24 PM
it sounds to me like this fish didnt stand a chance...330lbs leader?? I know these guys are tough, but isnt that a little unfair?