Stu Hardy

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Aitutaki October 2012
October 18, 2012, 07:42:18 PM

During the school holidays we took our families to Aitutaki in the Cook Islands for a rest and perhaps a bit of fishing with Mike Tekotia on Black Pearl (http://blackpearlaitutaki.com) who we have fished with before over the years. In days gone past most of the fishing was for pelagic species at the various FADs around the island. This fishery was very quiet during our stay, just one wahoo and a few small yellowfin. Mike is a lovely guy and happy to do anything the punter wants and he has in the last few years taken an interest in GT fishing, something not previously explored much in Aitutaki. Over 4 half days we managed a number of small to medium sized GTs. I am sure the big ones are there, they have been seen by the divers.

The lures that proved successful were all poppers, stickbaits did not seem to have any attraction at all. The black RAL popper (kindly made for me by Sam)  caught 4 GTs in about an hour, although it needed to be rescued from the surf on 2 occasions after bust offs, only one required a swim, so was dubbed "Old Lucky". Mike still has this lure for how long is the question.

So a great trip and highly recommended.

Simon Bomholt

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Re: Aitutaki October 2012
October 18, 2012, 07:50:00 PM
Nice fish, but i think it is a shame that they are gaffed so far down,  so the fish probarbly will be damaged alot or even worse
Greetings
Simon

Sam Morrison

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
October 19, 2012, 09:06:34 AM
Thanks for sharing Stu,

It would seem the weather gods smiled on you during the stay, it has been gusting to 130kph locally so I guess any tropical island is going to look great at this time of the year! ;D

Having never fished in Aitutaki, what areas was Mike targeting for the GT's? Bommies, reef/surf break etc... I am sure with some more angler interest and some more exploring Mike will found out what the fishery has to offer. Alan Syme(sp) is a member on here, he has had some great GT captures from the stones and lives on the island, from memory he goes popping at night...

Might have to make a few more of those poppers  ;)

Stu Hardy

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 19, 2012, 10:35:06 AM
Sam,

We just cruised around the outside of the reef and cast to the reef break. As for the weather it was the best we have ever had it, often the swell precludes getting close enough and the trade winds can be quite strong.

Matt Born

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 22, 2012, 06:43:49 AM
Very nice!! How did you find it in terms of 'family holiday'? Is it any easy sell to the misses?

Stu Hardy

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 22, 2012, 08:54:32 AM
Great for families. In all 5 families went, we rent houses and cook etc for ourselves. The divers went for a dive, we did a lagoon cruise with Puna and had no problems filling in the 10 days. The biggest problem is finding tonic!

Matt Born

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 22, 2012, 06:47:07 PM
hahaha - similar problems in seychelles with trying to find some limes.....

That's cool - might have to put on the sales suit before going home tonite!

Doug Terry

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
October 23, 2012, 08:02:33 PM

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
October 23, 2012, 08:28:39 PM

Congratulations Stu.

Doug: Gentlemen that hijack threads only confuse themselves. If you weren't provided the opportunity to ask the same question 20 times, then I shall commence back-flips.

Regards,
Luke

Alan Syme

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 31, 2012, 07:04:43 PM
Thanks for sharing Stu,

It would seem the weather gods smiled on you during the stay, it has been gusting to 130kph locally so I guess any tropical island is going to look great at this time of the year! ;D

Having never fished in Aitutaki, what areas was Mike targeting for the GT's? Bommies, reef/surf break etc... I am sure with some more angler interest and some more exploring Mike will found out what the fishery has to offer. Alan Syme(sp) is a member on here, he has had some great GT captures from the stones and lives on the island, from memory he goes popping at night...

Might have to make a few more of those poppers  ;)

mikes main target area is the outside ocean reef, there are not really any bommies but more of a barrier type reef with guts, gullies, gardens and cracks in it. surf breaks on these and a certain amount of wave action is usually beneficial, too much swell makes it unfishable and downright dangerous. there are also big gts inside the lagoon that can be caught, sight fished or casting blind. you can also snorkel with them at a few reserve spots.

aitutaki is a really beautiful place and my wife loves it there also.

i mainly going popping in day time, but have done a very small amount at night.

Stuart Kelly

November 04, 2012, 01:02:36 PM
Nice fish mate. Im heading there for my honeymoon in January. Might try and sneak some fishing in. Any idea what the fishing is like in Jan?

Stu Hardy

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 04, 2012, 01:16:50 PM
Stuart, never been in Jan, but I am sure the GT's will still be there. Not sure about the pelagics.

Stuart Kelly

November 04, 2012, 01:33:14 PM
Thanks Stu. I will definetley look into going with Black Pearl.

Alan Syme

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 09, 2012, 04:33:36 PM
stuart,

fishing is good in jan.

gt fishing year round as they are resident.

as for pelagics, jan is yellowfin tuna season mainly.

see you alan

Stuart Kelly

November 13, 2012, 05:44:59 AM
Thanks for the heads up Alan!
Hopefully I can hook onto a few.