Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
EDIT - here's the videos.  The quality isn't great...it takes forever to upload a full res version to youtube.  Also the water was so clear that the fish spooked easily hence the boat is often a long way away - so there's plenty of distance and shakey zoom shots. 

Also excuse the commentary  :-\ :D

www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkFs-92tIAw - here's one of my fish. You'll see me struggling to lift the rod at one stage...I seriously could not lift the rod back up from near the water!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4tFAngKAac - - here's MCs fish. Dissapointed about the quality - especially the strike...cant see it very clearly at all. Even the photo I added is blurry!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XXzPzR5xQo- if your net is slow and you only want to watch one vid i'd watch this one. you gotta have a montage. Montage! (or Monatge as it is...)

Well i'm back onboard after spending a week up north with a mate at Cardwell. The first few days were fairly ordinairy weather but it's an amazing spot and blowy weather outside just means you can head into the estuaries. The going was fairly slow - steady, but slow. Highlights were a nice salmon, my first jack, a (small) feed of crab plus a flatty and a stack of grunter. Not the barra we were looking for though.

As we didn't have the internet (everywhere in town seemed to be broken) we didn't really know what was happening with the weather and were playing our trips by ear day by day. Come wednesday though the groundskeeper at the caravan park came over for a chat and mentioned that the weather was glassing out for the next few days. Ecstatic, the days eastuary trip was put on hold and we tracked down a weather report. It was too good to be true - 3 days coming up of 10-15 knots. So, in true fly by the seat of your pants style, we canned the days estuary trip and got ourselves set to hit the outer reef. It was a bout a 50km run, or an hour and a half in my boat. We had never been before and i've never had my boat further than the close by islands around yeppoon. So what do we do? We decide we'd head out at 8:30 that night. 8:30 because the moon should be up and at night because the afternoon breeze would hopefully have dropped out and we couldn't wait for the next day to be out there. So packed, with all precautions taken and enough spare fuel to see us to new guinea we were off.

Was a good run out - hour and a half or there abouts and smooth enough to sip a beer (providing you were observant of the larger swell lest you take your front teeth out with the bottle). Get out there, find a spot showing fish in 40m of water, drop the handline down and BANG. Woohoo   
, a nice nannygai.

For a while it was a fish a drop but not to the standard of the first fish, got sharked plenty and then at around 3:00 my mate hooks up to a nice fish. Played for about 10 minutes, get colour and its red!! Bloody huge chinaman fish - arggghh. Still a nice fish but not the emporer we were after. After that had a lie down - a pillow each and one person each side of the console and dozed until first light. Today was the day for testing the new outfit and popping for GTs  Shimano T-Curve GT Special with Stella 10000, 80lb Tuf Line XP and 130lb leader.  My mate was keen but not enough to shell out the dollars and so had the best GT popping outfit in his arsenal ready to go - an old ABU5000, 50lb braid and 7-10kg ugly stick :) We hadn't done it before and were a little lost where to start. We found a nice bommie though and soon hooked up - bang lost fish - what the?? Bring the lure in and my Owner Jobu 7/0 is snapped clean off!! What - these things are supposed to be the business?!?!Rig up with two more and same thing - eventually hook up again and this time both Jobus are snapped clean in half! Insert huge string of expletives right here.  It must be a bad batch or something right?  Either way i'm taking them back...

Anyway I whip some trebles off another lure and get back in the game. We end up with 5 GTs landed from the boat for the day - bloody awesome. Anyway by 2:30 in the arvo we are buggered and head back in - the ocean still glassed out  Anyway - this aint kayak fishing is it :) 

We got back to the mainland and felt like drunken soldiers - without having consumed a drop. 20hrs on the water had given us a real wobble. Anyway we had such a ball the first day we figured the only way it could be topped - and on our last day of fishing - was to chase GTs, on poppers, in the kayak  So thats what we did.

Conditions were even better than the previous day. I was able to sit on the floor of the boat (5.4m centre console) and change trebles and de-barb hooks on the trip out.

We were out there in an hour and a bit and the yak was deployed. One person manning the boat and the other on the hunt. We had quickly figured out that by chasing the schooling blue fusiliers along the reef edges we would soon find GTs. You usually only got one cast per school though, the water was so clear that even with the yak to sneak up on them they quickly spooked.

I hooked up first cast  but dropped it. After that it took a bit of work and I changed between a 20cm river to sea popper and the lure that did the damage on day one (nomad stickbait) and then back to the popper. After that its a bit of a blur of hook-ups, landed fish, chasing schooling bait and watching manta rays. Not to mention being in the boat carelessly tossing slices out the back to catch some mackeral or sight fishing (believe it or not) to a red emporer by dropping a metal slice down to it in about 7 metres of water only to get cut off on the reef!

Anyway I ended up with 3 GTs from the yak and my mate MC with 2 GTs. I'm not sure on the size, we didn't measure or weigh them, just released as soon as we had some footage and a photo or two. I have the digital footage but it's on my laptop (with a flat battery). I couldn't wait any longer to put the report up though so the video will come later on - it's worth the wait though.

Anyway - thats my first ever GT popping trip and I had a ball.  I thought I got some good size fish but looking at the shoalwater trip - crikey there are big fish out there hey.  So that's where we're off to next, its just up the road so shoalwater here we come :)

Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 03:01:17 PM by travis

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
Great work Travis - aweome report!

Did you get towed around much when hooked up?

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
That's a shame about the Jobu's and sounds highly unusual. Definately take them back because it sounds like a random manufacturing fault.

Do you have any pictures of the broken hooks?

Stephen Polzin

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Good one mate, nice work.  Nothing better than when it's flat like that
Cairns Bommie Basher

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
Gday Luke - yeah you sure get a tow.  Will put the footage up when I get a chance - filmed the cast, strike, fight and release so you'll see the tow around then.

I figured the Jobus must be a bad bunch - all three broke in identical places and the break was two toned (ie looked like a fatigure mark/crack was in place before use).  I have all three still and will put a photo up when I get a chance next.  

Warwick Joyce

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Hey guys, a delayed post but I am Travis' mate. The other mad keen newbie to GT fishing, and i tell you even tho these are by no means big compared to some of the monsters out there they sure gave me some curry on my 10kg ugly stick and abu 7000!
So now its time for a good outfit in prep for a shoalwater trip!

Mick Cunningham

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
that sound like fun for being towed by the big gt when you get a chance to hook one up ...

well done boy,s ...  i used to have 24kg on tld outfit and i was beaten few year back .. now i would like to head back up there with my gt gear wink ..

Santosh Shanmuga

Way to go guys!

Andre van Wyk

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • DARK CONTINENT DARKSTAR RIDER
  • Liked:
Awesome report and what a great trip!!! Congrats on your success Travis & Warwick.... Wicked flat calm seas, Kayaks and GT's..... nothin better!!!
Lookin forward to the Videos!
To Ride, Shoot Straight and Speak the Truth...

Aaron Concord

Nice Job fellas!!
Congrats on cracking a few quality fish out of the yak  8)
You must have done some reasonable "tow speeds" behind them  ;D
Had a ball getting dragged around Slashers Reef off Townsville in a mates 8 foot inflatable with a 2hp tiller steer motor in 2005...it was crazy fun.

Well done guys!!

Aaron.

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
videos added - links in first post.

Mick Cunningham

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Cool videos , thanks .

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Dick Sweeney

Glad to see you pushing the envelope of the yak fishing - well done fellas !!   ;D ;D ;D

Stephen Polzin

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
awesome stuff.  great video.  looking forward to some weather like that in Cairns!
Cairns Bommie Basher