Trevor Skinner

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Carpenter Lite
December 23, 2012, 05:57:56 PM
Hi guys,

I'm looking to add another Carpenter to the stable and am tossing up between the BC79LR and the BC75MLR. It will be used primarily for flicking light lures (20-50G) into likely looking water as well as the odd school of tuna. It will also have to have enough backbone to handle the odd decent fish that decides to comit seppuku and will be paired to an SW5000 with 30lb braid.

I noticed that the guides on both standard rods are single foot, how do they stand up? 

Any advice appreciated.

Trevor     

Neville Haglund

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Re: Carpenter Lite
December 23, 2012, 07:29:13 PM
BLC 84/25 would have to be worth a look at.Lure weight seems about right.What weight hooks and split rings are you intending using??or have you included this already.!
Pop it, pop it, rip it, rip it, eat it, eat it, tight line, FISH ON, YES!

Trevor Skinner

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
December 23, 2012, 07:56:41 PM
Amr, I'm sure there's a huge amount of choice out there, some of which would be eminently suitable, including the FCL Labo rods. I wanted to stick with Carpenter as I have access to Ocean Active in Dubai and would rather support the store than order blindly through the internet. I should have also added that this purchase will likely be a custom.

Neville, I normally connect the trace directly to the lure when using 30lb line and wouldn't use anything bigger than a 1/0ish. I looked at the 84/25 but would be fishing from a boat and don't really need the length or the balls that the BLC series provides. I have a Hots Tide Lez 70mh (in my profile picture connected to a 35kg GT) that fits the mid range lures I use up to about 100g and the only way they'll take that away from me is to prize it from my dead cold hands.   

Thanks guys,

Trevor   

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 23, 2012, 09:06:01 PM
Hi guys,

I'm looking to add another Carpenter to the stable and am tossing up between the BC79LR and the BC75MLR. It will be used primarily for flicking light lures (20-50G) into likely looking water as well as the odd school of tuna. It will also have to have enough backbone to handle the odd decent fish that decides to comit seppuku and will be paired to an SW5000 with 30lb braid.

I noticed that the guides on both standard rods are single foot, how do they stand up? 

Any advice appreciated.

Trevor     

Trevor, BC75MLR (and it's older predecessor BC73MLR) is a great rod in my opinion.  It pairs perfectly with an SW5000 with PE3 or PE2 braid.  Your problem might be finding one!
Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 11:34:44 AM by Mark Harris

Trevor Skinner

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
December 28, 2012, 08:25:47 PM
Thanks for the input guys.

Mark, I've decided to go the lighter option with the BC79LR rather than the BC75MLR. Either would have done the job beautifully but the lighter rod fits better with the gear I've already got.

Now for the custom options list. A cork handle of course, abalone decoration..........

Trevor