Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Rigging for Macks
April 13, 2008, 01:58:57 PM
I've been doing a bit of jigging locally lately with good results on demersals and pelagics. So far the most fun species to catch would have to be Spaniards, they are plentiful here and grow big. It's really frustrating though when they bite through the assist.

How should I be rigging my jigs to avoid it? Is single strand ok and if so is crimping it on ok? or should I be using something else?

martin brennan

Re: Rigging for Macks
April 13, 2008, 06:51:15 PM
Gday,

yes it is a bit frutrating that pretty much all pre-riggegd jigs seem to come with the dacron assist, which , particularly with short shank hooks, is suicide on spaniards. There's two options - buy the separate assists made by Williamson that are wire, or make your own. I have tried both with similar success. I have found the best and most durable way is to use a short length of nylon coated multi-strand wire. I use 80lb wire on a 50lb jig outfit and it is fine. I crimp the hook onto the wire, run a length of lumo tube over the wire, crimp and hook eye (this seems to make it less likely to tangle on the leader and for better hook ups) and attach to the jig - I generally just crimp to the eye of the jig. If you make a loop in the wire with a crimp and then try and loop it onto the jig eye, as you do with the dacron, the stiffness of the wire will make the hook and length of wire sit pretty much at right angles, which probably isnt the best. As far as hooks go, for spaniards I have found that a longer shanked hook than the typical jig hook is best.

Anyway, thats just what has worked for me. Good luck

martin

Zac Chilvers

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 13, 2008, 07:20:35 PM
Jay
The way I rig them is by just using another splitring (size 9) and swivel(2/0 crane)splitring and use the owner sj41 jig hooks. The length works out to be pretty similar to a bought assist rig.

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
April 13, 2008, 07:45:21 PM
Jay
The way I rig them is by just using another splitring (size 9) and swivel(2/0 crane)splitring and use the owner sj41 jig hooks. The length works out to be pretty similar to a bought assist rig.

I've been using split ring > swivel > split ring with no dramas. Works well.

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 13, 2008, 09:47:45 PM
Thanks for the info guys, will look into the pre made assist hooks with wire and also the split ring option :)

Yesterdays effort Jigging off Dampier.

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
April 13, 2008, 09:57:07 PM
Nice work Jay! ;D

How has the exploration of the popping grounds been going?

Are there any genuine 100lber grounds up there?

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 13, 2008, 10:10:07 PM
Nice work Jay! ;D

How has the exploration of the popping grounds been going?

Are there any genuine 100lber grounds up there?

I think so Luke, but it's brutal ground, kinda like Shoalwater I'd say. Region hasn't really been fished by experienced GT popper fisherman so it's still pretty much untapped in that regard.

Heard of GT's caught up to 35kgs so I think there's a good chance of some 100lbers.

I gave the popping a break for a while - started losing too much gear  >:(

martin brennan

April 15, 2008, 01:56:06 PM
Guys, yes I have used the split ring/swivel method too, but for longer jigs in particular have found the the further down the jig the hook is, the better - ie, longer assist. Spaniards feed (particularly on larger baits) by chopping the tail off and coming back to complete the job. Check your jigs out after a spaniard session and see where the majority of the teeth marks are. I have even had mates put a hook on the tail end of the jig as a 'stinger' and this works fine...until you drop it on coral.
Just my thoughts anyway, but whatever works use it!
cheers
martin