Gavin Swab

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Bali GT fishing reports
February 14, 2013, 10:31:12 PM
Awesome stuff, some nice looking fish. Good to hear about the catch and release side of things.
Tell me,  are those cable ties ? around the tail area on most of those fish and if so, what for ?  Cheers

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 14, 2013, 11:13:26 PM
Hi Gavin, Adhek has been casually putting cable ties on some fish for about 2 years now.  It is really out of interest more than anything else to see if there are any recaptures - very few as it happens.  The cable ties are fitted very loosely so as to not damage the fish in any way.

Charlie Chew

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 15, 2013, 01:29:11 AM
mark ! i will be there in bali this april ! but no fishing....

Gavin Swab

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 15, 2013, 01:39:59 PM
Mark, I presumed as much. I thought it may have been a chip or something for tracking/ research.  Thanks.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 28, 2013, 11:49:18 AM
Mid-month became hard work at Batu Abah as the seas flattened. A Japanese group was out there fishing and produced a few very solid fish, the best of which are pictured below. Since then the effects of Typhoon Rusty have hit us big-time making fishing impossible on some days.

An Australian group from Melbourne braved those conditions over the past 2 days and were handsomely rewarded - watch this space for a full report from them.

Here are the best fish from last week:

Charles Cintron

• Red Bass
  • Waianae, Hawaii
  • Liked:
March 02, 2013, 02:55:22 PM
Solid. Do you guys use a towel to protect the fish or to stay clean? You guys got to get that smell on you so when you pull your clothes out of the closet it still smells like Ulua lol
GT FIGHT CLUB

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 02, 2013, 03:51:30 PM
A bit of both Charles.  It's a damp towel so it certainly protects the fish a bit and also stops sliming on your shorts.

The Melbourne group I mentioned above had four fish out of six boated the other day using the prototype lure I sent Nathan :)  I hope you get to have a fish with that one.  No doubt those guys will post a report next week when they are back home.

Charles Cintron

• Red Bass
  • Waianae, Hawaii
  • Liked:
March 03, 2013, 05:29:12 AM
He was telling me about that lure the other day didn't know it came from you, cool.
Were actually fishing tues and wed look forward to seeing it.
GT FIGHT CLUB

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 04, 2013, 08:27:13 PM
He was telling me about that lure the other day didn't know it came from you, cool.
Were actually fishing tues and wed look forward to seeing it.

Yep, I put one in the post to Nathan after reading how you guys were favouring fast sinking lures. :) .

Kawachi-san was back in Bali fishing again for a day last week and these are the two best fish he caught, both on Carpenter SP80M and Pandora.

Also deckie Acheng, got a nice fish using SP80M and that same prototype lure I have sent over.  Fish is a lot bigger than it looks - he is a tiny guy.

This was two days before the Melbourne crew got here. They will post their own report I am sure. Watch out for that one.

Kawachi-san with two solid late-February fish caught using SP80M and Pandora:

Deckie Acheng on the same day with a nice fish also on SP80M with a prototype fast-sinking stickbait:

Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 08:29:01 PM by Mark Harris

John Cahill

• Fusilier
  • www.ebbtidetackle.com
  • Liked:
March 04, 2013, 08:56:13 PM
Awesome to see Acheng get into it Mark, I was on GT1 on his first day on the job - he loves being out there!
ebbtidetackle.com

Simon Bomholt

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 05, 2013, 01:05:47 AM
Hi is great on the boat, and fast learner. When i fished with him right after you John, he learned within 15 minutes which lures we wanted to use under which conditions.. He just need to learn a bit more english :-)
Geed to see the prototype working.. It looked so cool
Greetings
Simon

Andrew Smith

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 05, 2013, 11:52:37 PM
Just returned from a short trip to Bali fishing with Pak Adhek onboard GT1. We planned three days fishing but weather cut it short to only two. We still encountered some classic fishing, with a definite preference for sinking stickbaits. A group of four of us headed over, two of the guys returned from a trip last year and one was a GT virgin. We fished two days at Batu Abah, and it was, well, working hard! Notable captures were the best fish at 127cm fork and 98cm girth, along with another at around 40kg. The productive lures were ASWB sinking stickbaits and also Adhek's new sinking stickbait prototype, which accounted for 4/6 fish on the second day, (including 2 in 2 casts for me). A lovely way to break in my Carpenter Coral Viper and Stella 18k!

Great trip, cant reccommend these guys highly enough!!

Here is a few pics;

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 06, 2013, 12:05:15 AM
Great stuff Andy.

That current pic is a beauty - I want it to look like that every time I go out there  8) .

First fish pictured is a total beast and you guys did so well on both days.  I can vouch for how rough the water was as I was watching it daily while you guys were out there - total respect for going for it in such challenging conditions. Casting into 35 knot winds is an "interesting" challenge :) .

And four from six fish on day 2 with the new prototype!  It has been educational watching that one develop and I reckon it is now dead right.

Andrew Smith

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 06, 2013, 12:10:39 AM
Definitely is a great lure now Mark, swims so easily. I also was unlucky enough to pull the hooks on a very solid fish on the same model early on the second day. But hey, thats GT fishing!!!

35 knots... yep... interesting!!

John Cahill

• Fusilier
  • www.ebbtidetackle.com
  • Liked:
March 06, 2013, 09:06:46 AM
Awesome Andy - great fish mate and always great company with Pak Adhek - that water looks wicked!
ebbtidetackle.com