Andrew Smith

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Bali GT fishing reports
April 06, 2013, 12:23:10 AM
Thanks for the report update Mark.

Those GT's on Inchiku and PE3 would be seriously good fun!!  :)

Charles Cintron

• Red Bass
  • Waianae, Hawaii
  • Liked:
April 14, 2013, 07:56:50 AM
Howzit Mark,

Just wanted to let you I was reading my new issue of Sport Fishing Magazine (April) here in the US and in the Traveling angler/Intelligence Report section they talk about Adhek Sport Fishing in Bali. They mentioned Lombok, Komodo, and Sumba and have a nice pic of an angler with a monster GT, very nice since I hardly see GT's pictured in here.

Also quick question I looked at your pics posted again and do my eyes deceive me? The photos of anglers with "Inchi-Ku" gear, it looks as if the guides spiral around the blank instead of lined up in a row like a normal rod? What does "Inchi-Ku" mean?

Aloha
GT FIGHT CLUB

Nathan Tsao

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
April 14, 2013, 10:28:43 AM
Dammit Charlie, it's called an "acid wrap" haven't you spent enough time around my rodbuilding workshop yet??? Come to KONA next week!

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 14, 2013, 11:00:51 AM
All good thanks and that's great to hear Charles :) . Amazing how Sports Fishing publications ignore the best sports fish of all eh? 

As Nathan says, that guide configuration is called an acid wrap (superb derivation of that term! :):) ). The rationale is explained here: http://www.acidrod.com/acidrods.html .

Inchi-ku is a form of (usually) light jigging using a skirted jig.  Can be very, very effective on reef species like groupers, snappers, emperors etc but also with GTs.  The key is working the jig very slowly.  In those pics I know the rod and reel pictured well, and the line would have been PE3 maximum, more likely PE2, so it makes those GTs capture quite notable.

You can see the inchi-ku jig clearly in this pic:

Howzit Mark,

Just wanted to let you I was reading my new issue of Sport Fishing Magazine (April) here in the US and in the Traveling angler/Intelligence Report section they talk about Adhek Sport Fishing in Bali. They mentioned Lombok, Komodo, and Sumba and have a nice pic of an angler with a monster GT, very nice since I hardly see GT's pictured in here.

Also quick question I looked at your pics posted again and do my eyes deceive me? The photos of anglers with "Inchi-Ku" gear, it looks as if the guides spiral around the blank instead of lined up in a row like a normal rod? What does "Inchi-Ku" mean?

Aloha
Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 11:22:38 AM by Mark Harris

Charles Cintron

• Red Bass
  • Waianae, Hawaii
  • Liked:
April 14, 2013, 12:29:25 PM
Hmm learn something new every day, thanks for posting the link. Interesting that's the first time I have ever seen or heard of an "acid wrap".  Inchi-Ku gear looks a lot like my Largemouth Bass gear, I do see a lot of those skirted jigs when I frequent the tackle shops in Japan but pass them by without a thought. Those are some impressive catches on the light tackle must be one hell of a fight  :D.

Dammit Charlie, it's called an "acid wrap" haven't you spent enough time around my rodbuilding workshop yet??? Come to KONA next week!
I always keep my distance from that fire hazard, sorry man but working a long stretch i'll be reading posts for the next couple weeks :(.
GT FIGHT CLUB

Christoffer Hansen

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
April 14, 2013, 07:12:41 PM
Looks like old mate's worked up an appetite in that battle

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 02, 2013, 06:25:29 PM
Successful lures: Craftbait GT3 150 in red bass colour, and Shell Shaping Kacha Sea sinking stickbait.
Set up for the big fish: Carpenter MH80H, old Saltiga 6500 Dogfight, Varivas Avani GT Max PE8, FG Knot to Prosele 170lb shock leader.

Absolute beast of a fiery GT:

From another angle:

Hanging on for dear life:

A little more under control (but not for long):

A small GT:

The little one going back:
Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 06:32:40 PM by Mark Harris

Trevor Skinner

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
May 02, 2013, 06:43:53 PM
Nice one Mark.

Looks like a green version of Mussandam with all those swirling eddies.

Strong currents make for great GT fishing and tough fights! Think it also makes the fish fitter and meaner, if that's possible.

Trev 

Charles Cintron

• Red Bass
  • Waianae, Hawaii
  • Liked:
May 02, 2013, 06:45:45 PM
Mark you don't look so well in that second pic lol ;D nice one. We battle fish in the current alot I feel your pain haha.....
GT FIGHT CLUB

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 02, 2013, 08:37:56 PM
Thanks Trevor.  I have always thought that the stronger the current conditions that the fish live in, the better conditioned they are.

I was totally wrecked Charles :) . I can't stress enough what an extraordinary fight it was. Still reeling a bit from the shock of it all! I evne manually checked my drag after the fight as  I could not believe how easily the fish ripped line off time after time after time. And the drag was spot on.  Of course, everyone else on the boat found it most amusing with helpful remarks like "would you like some help"? :) .

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 15, 2013, 06:37:57 PM
The Bali GT season is pretty much over now until September/October, so this thread will likely go quiet until then.

One little snippet though - last week a GT of approximately 120 cm bearing an Adhek tag from Batu Abah was photographed and observed for several minutes by divers in the Amed area of East Bali, approximately 72 km to the north of the tagging site.  It was the lead fish in a school of about 20 GTs.

Many thanks to all of those who have taken the time to respond in this thread - really appreciated.

Cheers

MARK
Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 06:40:47 PM by Mark Harris

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 15, 2013, 07:00:48 PM
Good and interesting news Mark.
Set the ray to GeeT

Simon Bomholt

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 15, 2013, 07:20:00 PM
Now that is really interesting stuff. Maybe the fish move up north in the summer periode. I saw a decent gt up in Tulamben, when snorkling there in April
Greetings
Simon

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 15, 2013, 07:24:47 PM
It is interesting to speculate I must say. 

Amed is just around on the north coast of Bali's eastern lump. It is really the nearest spot a fish could find to get away from the cold southerly waters which are now in at the Batu Abah site. 

Felix Neuer

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 15, 2013, 08:09:06 PM
as always, great report. the look of the GT on the first pic is sweat ... kinda "what the hell am I doing here"

you could add some sex by wrapping the towl around your hip next time.  :D