Kil Song

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Hi Kil

This is a very difficult post to write because the last way gtpopping.com wants to come across is that we are ungrateful for your contribution. That said, we have to balance this off against the ethos of this forum and the positions we have previously adopted in the past.

As you know, this forum prides itself on promoting catch and release. We have in the past been critical in circumstances where we feel that fish are not been released appropriately. Your thread, while a great report, is focussed very heavily on the table and while we are grateful that you made the effort to post this report on gtpopping, it really is not consistent with what we want here. There are numerous forums that cater specifically for this type of fishing but we are not one of them.

Hi Brandon,

I understand. East Coast fishermen, Japanese fishermen and Korean fishermen flied to Cabo San Lucas and all didn't take single fish. We love to catch and release, but the system of long range boats out of San Diego are not geared for catching and releasing.
I wanted to charter the Royal Star's catch/release trips to Socorro Island for tagging program, but they couldn't get the permit from Mexican Government anymore.  I have French Polynesia trip and Southern Oman trip for GT popping in two month and you can see only catch and release. :)

Kil Song

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Hi Kil ,

Bravo ! It's good to see you fish with Konishi-san n his friends , some are around our age too !  ::)

Jon .

Hi Jon,

I think Ajichi san is about 64 years old. He was very unfortunate because his one luggage in which he put all his reels didn't arrive with him in Cabo San Lucas and he had to borrow a reel from Konish san.  That is why we always to try to put reels in carry-on bags if possible.

For some reason, tuna didn't take top water lures very well.  I fished the area from Puerto Vallarta, Mexico several times and yellowfin tuna usually hit poppers very well.
I had 9 yellfowfin tuna on Heru Skipjack before breakfast on a one trip out of Puerto Vallarta.  I think tuna must feed on very small bait on this trip.
I brought 90g - 150g poppers on the trip as I never had any problem to catch even small tuna with 120g - 150g poppers in Mexico and Panama.  I should have brought smaller   ones on this trip.
Konsihi san landed about 150 lb tuna in 15 minutes with 8' popping rod and it surprised most spectators on the boat as yft off Mexico are regarded as hard fighters.
He clearly showed his fighting technique using heavy drag.
He asked me to join one of his Tokara trips this year and I love to go because Tokara is a special place for GT/dogtooth fishermen, but it is very difficult for me to go this year as I have tuna/GT trips planned every month already.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Thank you for your understanding, Kil
If it swims; I want to catch it!