Doug Lindsay

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1

GT Fever in the Whitsundays is a Giant Trevally only tournament put together by a few diehard sportfisherman who regularly fish the reef for the mighty GT.
This year will be the inaugural event and guess what- You can come too! 
Briefing is Friday 3rd May. Fishing will commence Saturday Morning and cease Sunday afternoon (times tba)
There are a couple of different categories and the rules are nice and simple.its really just all about a bunch of like minded GT nuts, getting together fo a weekend of targeting that fish we all love. How cool is that!
Number 1 on the list of rules and regs is that this is a catch and release comp only. No one wants to see piles of dead GTs at the "weigh-in". The fish that are to be "presented" for points are to be photograhed on a (wet) brag mate and quickly released. I'm sure we are all good with that.
Rule 2 is that fish are only eligible if they are caught on artificial lures. Sorry bait boys, leave the pillies at home!
Any line class or type (Braid/Mono) may be used, but GTs must be min 60cm (nose to fork of tail) to qualify for points.
That's about it. Easy.
There will be 3 gongs to aim for:
Biggest (longest) GT and runner up
Most GTs caught by an individual and runner up
Champion team (most GTs divided by number of anglers on boat) and runner up team.
Entry will be $50 which covers a snag in a bag on the Friday night briefing, a solid meal during the Sunday night presentation and the rest will go towards the trophies etc. Its important to note, this event is not about cash prizes or big prizes. Its about FUN!
For further information contact Ash Matthews (Seafever Sportfishing Whitsundays) via email [email protected]
See you there!   

Graham Scott

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Hi Doug,
Sounds interesting, being early May I assume it will be blowing 25 knots. My current boat wouldn't get past Pioneer Rock. You reckon you could organise biggest mud crab for me as plan B???  biggest steak at KC's???

Guy Durham

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Sounds pretty sweet. I'll start justifying a weekend away with the boat without the missus, and see if i cant tee some up a couple of boat fillers.

If the weather comes up ok I'm keen to drag the tub up the road.
When people hear hoof beats, they think "Horses"
When I hear hoof beats.  I think "Zebra's" :)

Doug Lindsay

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Graham, I reckon the biggest Mud Crab idea is a winner! (Conditions apply: All Crabs become the property of the competition committee) :)
Would be fantastic to see some gtpopping guys along.

Tony Warnett

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Booked and Confirmed Doug,

Request a West Coast versus East Coast division in comp  :o

Also another one of these Big Black G's from that area would be nice...

Doug Lindsay

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Fantastic Tony! Can't wait to catch up with you, Ash has told me a lot about ya (mostly good, but the innapropriate touching is a worry ;)

Tony Warnett

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
See you there Doug looking forward to it mate.
Inappropriate touching nothing to suss at all really Doug well Geoff thought it was okay.. ::) 

Doug Lindsay

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Lol! Crackin fish there btw.

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
Awesome idea, definitely keen but timing and issue - will see!

thomas + williams

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Hey Doug I reckon myself and a few mates will make the trip down. Is there a check in on the Saturday night or is it just Friday check in then the Sunday weigh in?

Doug Lindsay

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Good one mate, the more the merrier! I believe there won't be a check in Saturday, but if you check with Ash Matthews (its his comp-im just an unofficial "spokesperson") he can confirm that for you. Sounds like numbers are building nicely.

Guy Durham

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Only the one weigh in hey.  That actually works out ok, as I'm currently thinking I'll base myself out of hamo for the weekend. It'll give the girl something to do during the day.pretty convenient to not have to go back to mainland everyday.

I'm keen, but I do have one question... Down here is mackay he GT's completely shut down in cool weather. We're only talking 50-60nm away, are they still quite active up there in cooler weather?

thomas + williams

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
I have seen them pretty thick and very active in shoalwater in the middle of winter and the same up around cairns/cardwell. So there should still be a bit going on I would think! The only thing I would be worried about is the south easterlies!

Guy Durham

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
ALWAYS worried about the south easterlies!  :-\

thomas + williams

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Yeah the trip down will depend on the weather for us as well... But if there is anything less than 20 knots we are in!