NIGMAC

Trinidad 16N or Saltiga 30/Z30
April 16, 2008, 10:11:55 AM
I'm trying to decided between Trinidad 16N or Saltiga 30/Z30 for lighter jigging and bottom fishing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Nigel

Hon-Su Chin

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Trinidad 16N or Saltiga 30/Z30
April 16, 2008, 09:05:02 PM
Personally I prefer the Saltiga becoz of the extra torque you get from low geared reels and they're a little more robust than the Trinidad. What breaking strain line are you planning to run?

Sam Beeby

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 17, 2008, 12:31:47 AM
The trinidad is a little more versatile in that it has a freespooling ratchet for live baiting situations or for ease of down rigging in that you can just run the bomb down and the bait will follow without any dramas.

I've used both and found that the saltiga drag was far superior - wasn't torqued up nearly as hard and felt like it had more in reserve and felt more micro adjustable.

They both fall to hand really nicely. The shimano is slightly bigger in diametre compared to the smaller daiwas so if you have small hands maybe the daiwa would be the go. The daiwas sit on the rod with a lower more compact profile than the 16N.

The daiwas are entirely machined from full billet whereas the shimano has side plates machined from castings so I guess arent as engineeringly perfect as the daiwas if that matters to you.

I thought jigging would be harder with the shimano due to the larger diametre spool and the higher ratio, but it still felt powerful and smooth. It felt well suited to the one lift-one turn style.

The daiwas to me felt like they had more grunt (geared and drag) in a smaller reel so are my pic

Sam Beeby

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 17, 2008, 12:40:20 AM
oh yeah and keep in mind that because the daiwas are smaller/compact, that they fit nicely on very small rods and actually cast quite well. With the addition of a couple of magnets glued inside the sideplate they would make great high speed spin reels. I think the higher aspect trini would struggle at that.

Sam Beeby

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 17, 2008, 01:23:03 AM
hmmm multiple replies here - too many nightshifts are making me delirius!!

Sorry just want to make sure you compare apples with apples. The equivalent saltiga reels to the Trini 16N would be the 5.4:1  Z20 and Z30. The non-Z versions of these were/are the SA-15 and SA-20 respectively. Confusing I know.

These are the versions I've used against the TN16. The SA-20/Z30 would be closer to the line capacity of the TN16 (maybe a smidgen less).

The Saltiga SA-30 5.4:1 however is basically a Saltiga Surf 30 without the casting sideplate - too wide for jigging and not really comparable to the Trini 16N.

Then the Z40/SA-30T etc are a whole class size up

NIGMAC

April 17, 2008, 06:51:11 AM
Thanks for the responses

I'm leaning toward the saltiga Z30 and will run it on a smith AMJ with Jigman PE4. That should give me a solid outfit that is quite light. I've heard mixed reports on Diawa warranty, is this a problem here in OZ?