David Sharples

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
5 days in The Musandam
April 17, 2008, 04:46:50 AM
Just got back from Oman after a five day trip. Only managed to fish 3 days out of the 5 due to a Shamal (I think?) or desert wind that makes the water round the top of the Musandam very rough. Absolutely stunning location as I think has been said many times. High barren cliffs dropping straight off into deep water with fierce currents running through causing standing waves and whirlpools. A very complex place to fish as the currents aren't consistent in when they start up. Instead of being dependant on tide they seem to be quite random and unless you were fishing in the current the fish would just follow and swipe at the lures rather than smash them. Loads of fusiliers in the quieter spots and longtail tuna busting all the time.

The results of the 3 days fished were pretty good especially as we're not at all experienced GT fishermen. We had in total 12 fish with 5 being over 30kg, best was a bit short of 40 although we were using the formula so there may be some flex in those weights. Lost one due to a Stella drag locking up but all others that we hit were landed. Lost one popper to a barracuda and I narrowly missed having my Fisherman Big Mouth HP nipped off at the boat by a king mack. He launched himself straigft into the side of the boat at my feel leaving just a few teeth marks on the popper as a momento. Lucky he wasn't a foot higher in his jump or I'd have got it big time!

Best popper by a long way was the GT Mania 130. I was using a Caranx Kaibutsu Deep Monster which wouldn't really load with these light lures so I lent these to my friends who proceeded to nail fish after fish on them  >:( .For some reason the Fisherman poppers just didn't have the pulling power that the Heru lures did. Good results with the Orion Bigfoot 170 though, definately need to stock up on a few more of these...

Enjoyed it so much I'm already booking for November. This time armed with a WV and hollow 130lb. Saw the rigging with this and it's just so smooth although doing the splice is a bit of a ball ache. Richard, the skipper, showed us a way to join two lengths of hollow braid with no knot or evidence of the join. I though he must be engaged in the dark arts. Very impressive.

Anyway, some of you guys really should try this place. Awesome.

Angus Hulme

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: 5 days in The Musandam
April 17, 2008, 12:38:57 PM
Brilliant report David, and super pics too. Looks like a very interesting place. I suppose I now have to add it to my increasing list of desirable exotic GT destinations I'll never get to.   :D

Thanks
Angus