thomas + williams

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Azusa rods
February 28, 2013, 08:38:12 PM
Just wondering if anyone has experience with these rods and if they ar any good!?

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: Azusa rods
February 28, 2013, 09:50:27 PM
I've seen them around before but don't know of anyone who has used one. They do look like they have gone to the effort of using decent components but have still been able to price their rods very keenly. We need a volunteer!  ;D
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Stephen Callus

• Fusilier
  • plan a trip to stay a live
  • Liked:
February 28, 2013, 10:55:20 PM
Brandon i think this rod will goes nicely on with the fox reel and we know who the volunteer is  ;D
plan a trip to stay a live

Darren Cook

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
March 01, 2013, 09:14:40 AM
I have a mate using AJC 682FCFB,  PE2-3 150g jig. Max drag 9kg.

He say's its got a nice soft tip, loads nicely parabolic, Build quality OK. Nice and light.

Comes in a denim bag!!!!!

He uses it for madai, light jig ect.  Has caught fish on it up to 2kg. Uses it in depths up to 30-70 metres. Matched with an LD saltist 30.

He notes that the butt length is a little short for his underarm slow jigging.

Summary- Versatile light jig rod that won't break the bank.

Paid $280. new likes it for the price.
Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 09:17:26 AM by Darren Cook

thomas + williams

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 01, 2013, 10:42:59 AM
Yeah I was looking at the 8 foot model in pe 4-6 and running a saltiga with 60lb braid. Would be good to see if anyone has used one for popping!

Sydney Neal

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 01, 2013, 11:50:42 AM
Yeah I was looking at the 8 foot model in pe 4-6 and running a saltiga with 60lb braid. Would be good to see if anyone has used one for popping!
I have this rod in the original monster mesh by daiwa, one of my favorite general purpose work small poppers and mid sized stickbaits around 100gr.....
I am pretty sure the guy who builds the azusa range was a designer of daiwa jdm rods before going out on his own a few years back

thomas + williams

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 01, 2013, 12:17:55 PM
I read that in an article on the net and I have a friend who is running some of the smaller models (a lot smaller) and they have performed well. I think I will take the gamble and try it out. Will let you know how it works out!

Leo Sorbello

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
March 01, 2013, 12:52:08 PM
By memory, I think they are a tackle world stock acquired rod only............

thomas + williams

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 01, 2013, 01:08:29 PM
Could anyone suggest an alternative rod at around the same price (450)?

Sydney Neal

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 01, 2013, 02:26:48 PM
Yamaga blue sniper range, or a zaltz from major craft? Don't know the specs off by heart, but better be quick on the zaltz shore jigging range before new models come out

John Ryan

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 01, 2013, 06:25:29 PM
i have the 9' medium model, matched to a biomaster-sw 8000HG.I use it as a flog around rod spinning up bonnies etc. its good value for money and very robust. I've caught a 14kg longtail on it and felt very undergunned.
2 of my mates have the 9' heavy model, and although they pack a punch they are very uncomfortable to use and difficult to cast and fight fish with. My mate tried popping a 100gr Cubera with it... with much difficulty. might be better suited to stickbait work.
i have noticed across the board though is the poor epoxy coat on the guides. My friends and i maintain our gear well, and we all have rust developing where the frames meet the epoxy.

overall, they are great value for money and i think they are easily some of the best in their price range. As already mentioned, very robust and solid performers. but i dont think they are ideal for what you want to do

thomas + williams

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 02, 2013, 11:55:06 AM
I ended up getting the 8 foot rod, pe 6-8. It feels alright and not bad value for the money, I will give it a working over in the next couple of days and see how it goes! Thanks for the help!