Zeck Lim

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Land-based GT Popping - where?
April 17, 2008, 01:15:10 PM
I am interested in land-based GT popping trips. Does anyone have any recommendations on which charters to go for? Want to land biggies from land. Looking to spend ~7 days.

Thanks, zeck

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: Land-based GT Popping - where?
April 17, 2008, 02:48:40 PM
Hi Zeck ,

The western coasts of Sumatra as well as the Mentawai islands are good for that , a few sp[ots in the southern part of Java too but all in cases , you need a good 4WD vehicle to get to the places and quite a few steps down the cliffs too , will definitely involve camping .

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

MikeOsborn

April 17, 2008, 03:20:06 PM
we got a few landbased just outside the surf camps at Krui in South Sumatra two years ago. lots of smaller fish to 15kg

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 17, 2008, 08:10:21 PM
Plenty of resort Islands in the Whitsundays that hold big fish.
Land based popping is possible at most.....Just watch the green zones.

Pete

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
April 18, 2008, 11:18:33 AM
Anywhere is northern Australia is your Oyster. If there is somewhere that has more coastline and GT water I haven't seen it! We have landed GTs to 30kg in Australia and New Caledonia from shore/rocks - there are bigger ones out there!

Cem Yildiz

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
April 20, 2008, 07:04:45 PM
hi zeck,

i have a good place here in germany. elbe river  ;D
how are you ?

cem  ???

Paul Taylor

April 20, 2008, 07:25:57 PM
Luke,

Any suggestions around Brisbane or the Gold Coast.

Regards Paul

Aaron Concord

April 20, 2008, 10:49:43 PM
Paul,

The North & South walls of the Southport Seaway and the walls of the Tweed can produce GT's though general fish is around 3-5kg. There are 20kg models around though these are fairly rare. The larger fish tend to end up on the close-in offshore bombies like the Nine Mile...
The best GT I have seen taken off the South Wall was 10kg and on 8kg mono, it was a terrific fight!!!
Probably needs a bit more work to suss out when those bigger fish surf through the entrances. I know that they are there from reliable mates who have hooked them while jew fishing.

And its a dawn/dusk/night time thing, which means having a fishing partner if you want to be safe...the G's love the rougher water...as usual.

Aaron.

Zeck Lim

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 21, 2008, 12:54:40 AM
Thanks chaps. Forgive me for leaving out a critical factor - I was looking for an organized charter (if any). I am not familiar with Australia (its too big in any case) and I do not want to spend too much time trying to find good spots though I would certainly love to. My aim is to catch 30kg and above specimens from land. I do not mind living in tents.

Luke, can you shed some light on the places that you tried and scored? Sounds awesome!

Jon, interested to organize one? :-)

Cem, are you Abi? Yeah Elbe River would be great.... for eels! :-)

Thanks for any inputs!

Cem Yildiz

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
April 21, 2008, 03:21:45 AM
Hi Zeck,

yes i am. I am waiting with the eels. We miss you here in good old germany.

life is short, fish hard !