Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Super glue and braided line
March 15, 2013, 10:10:30 PM
I was wondering if anyone had any experience in using super glue with dyneema braid (eg Varivas GT Max) and if it has any adverse effect on the integrity of the line? 

I have done  few home tests and the glue does not seem to damage the line.

Would be very interested to hear of any first hand experiences with this.

In case anyone is wondering where this weird request came from...  I am experimenting with a way of finishing off a knot.
Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 11:00:54 PM by Mark Harris

Tony Warnett

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Re: Super glue and braided line
March 16, 2013, 01:56:12 AM
Hi Mark.

Used it frequently to finnish off the Bimmni Twist when blue water fishing quite a while back.
Started using a year ago on both FG and PR Knot no problem as of yet i feel a bit more secure with it now as a back up..

Cheers Tony.

Les Maunder

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 16, 2013, 09:04:39 AM
Mark

I have experimented with using glues to finish off knots and came across Maverick Bond which is a flexible super glue. It is expensive AUD20 but lasts a long time. I have not had any adverse effects on braid that I have been able to detect.

The only place I know where to get it is a Hobby Place in Cheltenham, Victoria, Australia

http://www.mavco.co.nz/index.aspx?site=465&page=3958

Good luck

Les

Ryan Theyer

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 16, 2013, 11:01:34 AM
Hi Mark.

I have been using a UV knot glue for the past 2 years and have had no issues. I tried superglue but found it to be very ridgid.

The UV Glue only goes off once its exposed to UV light so its great because you can work with it a bit before it sets and it still remains soft enough to run through the guides without sticking.

http://www.theflyfishers.com/fly-shop-details.asp?ID=144&pID=1107

Cheers

Ryan

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 16, 2013, 12:02:38 PM
Super glue dries very tough and rigid....
I wouldn't like to have say a full FG knot covered in super glue....casting this really rough section through your runners may cause some problems.?
Might need to use heat shrink over it too..

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 16, 2013, 12:04:43 PM
Mark, I have used it directly on braid as I used to use some braid to finish off the wind-back section of the twistie. It doesn't seem to have any effect at all on it.

For FG and PR knots, there is a special glue you can buy in Japan. I don't use it as I don't think it is helpful on a well-tied knot and conversely, it won't save a bad knot.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 16, 2013, 12:10:46 PM
Mark, I have used it directly on braid as I used to use some braid to finish off the wind-back section of the twistie. It doesn't seem to have any effect at all on it.

Yeah, that was my exact use also...dries pretty hard but didn't matter there as the heat shrink went over the top.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 16, 2013, 12:32:52 PM
Gents, thank you all very much. Again this forum comes through :) . Really appreciate all of that and it backs up my my home tests.

Whilst reading around I found out that the active ingredient in super glue - Cyanoacrylate - has an exothermic reaction with cotton! with that in mind I was a bit nervous that it would have at least some effect on braid. That does not seem to be the case though.

Pete - I have always been a bit nervous about heat shrink over braided line due to sensitivity of braid to heat. You never had any problems?
Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 01:12:47 PM by Mark Harris

Nathan Tsao

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
March 16, 2013, 01:45:47 PM
Aloha Mark,
there is also an adhesive called "PlioBond" that will work. I used to mainly use it on my flyfishing equipment because, as the name indicates, it remains a very pliable bond when joining lines. I used it for a while on my GT gear, but then lost the bottle and never bothered to buy it again.
The thick liquid will soak into the braided lines, then wipe off the excess. After it cures, it will remain highly flexible while still binding the fibers together.
One downside, is that it STINKS to high hell, a get out of the room kind of stink.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 16, 2013, 02:04:35 PM
Many thanks Nathan. I see that Pliobond is a contact adhesive. It is not a brand I have ever seen but I can probably find a similar product.

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 16, 2013, 02:23:52 PM
Gents, thank you all very much. Again this forum comes through :) . Really appreciate all of that and it backs up my my home tests.

Whilst reading around I found out that the active ingredient in super glue - Cyanoacrylate - has an exothermic reaction with cotton! with that in mind I was a bit nervous that it would have at least some effect on braid. That does not seem to be the case though.

Pete - I have always been a bit nervous about heat shrink over braided line due to sensitivity of braid to heat. You never had any problems?

Not with the hair dryer mark....The hair dryer works well.
My wife loves me using hers... ;D....Obviously these need to be made prior to your trip... ;D

Sam Morrison

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
March 16, 2013, 04:41:26 PM
Mark,

You will find the glue you need from anyone making/selling wind on leaders, they use the flexible glue on the serve.

You can also use hot water for heat shrink.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 16, 2013, 04:55:41 PM
Yep thanks Sam. I was looking around for past few days and some do use cyanoacrylate ("super glue") for certain applications with braided line and others use flexible adhesives.

From what I am doing flexibility is not too much of an issue, and super glue will do the job I think.

I am now fully re-assured that using cyanoacrylate glue will not adversely effect the integrity of the braid.

Gary Prerost

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 16, 2013, 07:49:53 PM
Isnt  the whole purpose of tying a knot , to tie it well in the first place. These are superior knots your tying and I dont think were ever designed to use super glues. First rule is to be confident in what you are tying.My two cents worth

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 16, 2013, 07:59:30 PM
Glue is often used just for finishing a knot off Gary - eg holding down a tag end that might fray and look untidy.

If you are tying your own assists it is also useful for holding the tag end of the cord in place and stiffening the overhand knot.  Indeed not sure I have ever made an assist hook without adding super glue!

Also in the world of wind-on leaders, glue is widely used for various purposes. See for example: http://www.bhptackle.com/home.php?cat=50 .

So glue has a very valid place in the modern world of fishing knots.
Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 08:01:30 PM by Mark Harris