sam williams

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Rigging head hooks
June 09, 2013, 08:23:23 AM
Hi there i am just wondering how people attach assist hooks to the tow point. I have 7/0 shout assists and cant figure it out. Do you just use a split ring to solid ring then onto tow point? Or is there something im missing? Also is the hookup rate effected at all by this method of rigging as i encounter alot of wahoo and yellowfin tuna in the area i fish. I usually run baker rigs and have absolutly no trouble with it works every time but the reason i ask is my friend bought a new popper the other day and it was missing the belly swivel so i figured this is the only way to rig it. Thanks

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Rigging head hooks
June 09, 2013, 11:46:27 AM
If you use a normal set up of leader -> swivel -> split ring -> lure, then just attach the solid ring from the assist to the split ring.

For some lures though, you will find this method of rigging works best with as little weight as possible pulling the nose down. In those cases, uni-knot the leader straight to the lure and loop the assist (minus the solid ring) through the towing point of the lure.

Which popper did you see without a belly swivel or wire hook point?  It may be that this lure is specifically balanced to be used with a tail hook only.