Craig Dawson

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Samaki and wilson venom gt rods
June 22, 2013, 08:34:55 PM
Hey guys I was just wondering if anybody had some feedback on the samaki gt rods and the Wilson venom popping rod pe 10

Andrew Wilson

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Re: Samaki and wilson venom gt rods
June 22, 2013, 10:40:09 PM
Hi mate I fish the pe10 rod aswell as the pe 3. I fish them hard with 100pound jerry brown hollow core and have found them pretty tough they do lack the back Bone of some of the high end rods but are a pleasure to fight fish on. Being a little softer in the tip makes them a little harder to pop with but I didn't mind working a bit harder with a popper cause when u hook up it saves the back. Basically a good all round rod for sticks and pops. Like I said I fish my pe3 using 100 pound on a locked up 10000sw Stella and havnt broken it yet.

Craig Dawson

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
June 25, 2013, 09:04:08 AM
Hey mate are you talking about the wilson venom?.. I was actually looking at the pe 10 rod as a cheaper alternative to a jap pe8 rod... Do you find your pe 10 is similar to the higher end pe 8 rods rating wise an in the tip or is it still a lot softer? . Looking to throw mainly 125-150 gram poppers with the very occasional stick bait.. I have had a look at the pe 8 version but can't find the pe10 version in local stores.. the Pe 8 was nice I was just looking for something a little heavier in the tip..
Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 09:12:00 AM by Craig Dawson

Kyle Stacey

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
June 29, 2013, 05:29:09 PM
I haven't used the heavier versions but have used the pe5 and quite like it. They have good and bad points firstly I don't like the join placement (6 in above the grip) and I wouldn't consider it to be a popper rod but more a stick bait and pencil rod but they cast very well and the pe5 is nice to fight fish on and I have caught GT's, southern bluefin tuna and Spanish mackerel without an issue. As far as poppers go anything other than small faced poppers overload this rod (in the attached vid I popp albeit once a small Full Scale popper with a 33mm cup and the rod seem ideal for poppers in that size 140mm and about 80g with hooks).

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-CIFjoQGCg

Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 05:32:18 PM by Kyle Stacey

Andrew Wilson

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
June 30, 2013, 03:42:37 PM
yeah mate the wilson rod. they do have a lot softer tip then most high end pe8 rod.  Like i said mate personaly i dont mind it, solely on the fact that its more about the comfort of the fight then the comfort in popping i find the soft parabolic venom better suited for me. it may not be everyones type of rod but for the price i reckon its a cracker.