Derek Mock

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Hamilton Island / Whitsundays report
January 03, 2014, 09:35:11 AM
Hi

Firstly thanks to Luke, Chris and others who assisted me with info on GT fishing from Hamilton Island, it is surprisingly tricky to get off the island for a customised trip.

I went up for a family holiday so spent only a day trip with a guide who picked up from Hamo - Rich from barra2billfish. Great service, operates out of a long boat (panga) and who found some great eddys, small islands and rocky outcrops to cast at.

Was a great day trip, caught one small 18kg model, missed 2 others but spent time catching reefies for dinner. Caught nice sized coral trout, multiple sweet lip, red emperor etc.

Happy new year to all and thanks again for being a great resource and helpful community.

Derek

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
Re: Hamilton Island / Whitsundays report
January 03, 2014, 05:28:59 PM
Great work Dereck. Glad you cracked a fish. What setup / lure did you score it on?

Derek Mock

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 06, 2014, 08:52:37 AM
Hi Luke

Carpenter 80M, Dogfight, nomad pencil popper in 80g. I was told by the guide that whitsundays GT's prefer the shorter topwater baits, sub 25cm to match the baby flying fish that they were feeding off.  I understand GT's on the outter reef take the longer stickbaits/poppers.

I also took up a temple reef 76MH which is new for me, used it for casting at the long tail tunas and queenies, would have been interesting if i hooked up on a GT in such shallow water.

Derek

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
January 06, 2014, 12:43:33 PM
You were probably there when we were, lucky enough to have my boat up there though.  Wander down, in boat, 2 minute boat ride, hook a GT or two, then wander home.  One of the best spots we found was 300m off Catseye beach  ;D

David Noble

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
January 06, 2014, 01:03:39 PM
Very nice Derek, success in a new area is all the more rewarding.

Cheers Dave