Simon Thomas

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Rod Recommendation
June 10, 2008, 04:05:48 PM
Hi all,

After using a few of the flash rods on my recent Nomad trip to Marion, I can now see the value in a more expensive rod than my current T-Curve 400.  Whilst out with Nomad I especially liked a certain red Ripple Fisher because it seemed to make jigging considerably easier due to its low weight and slower action.  Unfortunately most of my fishing will now be done out of Brisbane chasing amberjack etc in water to around 100m or so.  I have a Stella 20k with 80lb braid on it so that is the reel I would match it up with.

Does anyone have any recommendations of rods which might be suitable for this style of fishing?  I also intend to go up to Jones? Tackle for a look as well as they are located pretty close to where I live.

Thanks in advance.

Simon

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: Rod Recommendation
June 10, 2008, 05:26:47 PM
Simon, as you may have read on this forum, jigging rods are a matter of personal taste. Some people prefer a slower action rod whilst others prefer a crisper action. Only you can really make the decision on what suits your style of fishing.

If you were using a red Ripple Fisher jig rod and it had a slow action, that would have been an Amberjack 55 which is a PE8 rod. I really took a shine to that rod myself as it is about the best jig rod I have used (for me). I really liked the action on it! For me, that one is definitely on the acquisition list. I can see myself pulling up some good samsons on that rod. Either that or they will kick my butt again but I will have fun trying!

If you like a slow action like that, you could think about a Smith Nirai. I really like this rod too although it doesn't have the low down power of the RF Amberjack 55. I can't think of any other rods on the market that have an action as slow as either of these two rods. My suggestion is that if you like the slow action on the Amberjack to go for a Nirai if you are largely intending to fish around PE6 but if you want to go up to PE8, I'd suggest you think about the Amberjack.

There are a lot of quality jig rods that are now available on the Australian market. These include the various offerings from Hots, Zenaq, Jigging Master, Shimano's Blue Rose, Daiwa's Saltigas, Carpenter (harder to get) etc to mention a few. All of that said, if you like slow actions, look at the two I have mentioned above.

Don't look down on the more budget priced jig rods though. The rod you currently have is a proven piece of equipment that has landed a lot of quality fish. A more expensive rod may feel nicer but may not be a much more efficient tool to jig with.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Simon Thomas

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
June 11, 2008, 11:24:54 AM
Thanks for your sound advice Brandon.  You are certainly correct in saying that rod choice is an individual thing, but it is good to have a few options to narrow down the search.  Unfortunately I have only really fished with the T-Curve and Ripple Fisher so I don't have a very large data set on which to make a choice.  Also I can't see this changing in the near future so that might make rod choice a little more difficult.  Given the price of the Ripple Fishers it is not a choice to be taken lightly!!!  I am in no hurry so that gives me a chance to have a good look around.

Once again thanks for you sound advice.

Simon

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 11, 2008, 12:54:58 PM
Taking your time and looking around is a really good idea. I feel most people are too eager to buy and as you have no doubt noticed already, buying decisions on premium jigging and popping equipment are not decisions that should be taken lightly!

You need be in no hurry as the T-Curve 400 will continue to serve your well. I've landed some nice fish on that stick and I regard it very highly, especially at the price it is at.

If it swims; I want to catch it!