Dayne J-W

Overloading outfits?
June 11, 2008, 09:42:17 PM
Hey guys,
Getting a new setup, a daiwa monster mesh PE6-8 matched with the new spheros 14000FB. Not sure weather to load it up with 80 pound line for the extra casting distance or load it up with 100 pound line for the extra grunt or will i be putting the gear under to much strain by using 100 pound line? oh and ill be using tuf line and fishing in areas like shallow reefs to bombie drop offs.

Sachin Chaudhry

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Overloading outfits?
June 12, 2008, 05:40:29 PM
Hi Dayne.
I do not think you can overload this outfit any more on 100lb than you can on 80lb. The 80lb line tests considerably above 80 and the factor to consider is how much drag you intend to fish with and the lure type and weights you intend to cast. Between 80 and 100lb there is not any difference except you will lose some distance on the heavier line.
You will also have less line with 100lb than 80lb so that is something to consider. The Spheros has a factory drag rating of 20kg and I do not think you are in danger of popping either line weight with this reel assuming your knots are tied right. My Spheros FB sits on a Calstar GF700XH so I have some expereince with this rig.

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 13, 2008, 09:06:49 AM
Similar to Sachin my upgraded Spheros is on a Calstar GF700H, which stays rigged in the boat ready for any unexpected surface action when out wide jigging, it also comes in handy as a backup jig rod with 200-250gm jigs. The reel has YGK PE8 [80lb] on it which I find ideal as I run it with 10kg of drag, the most drag I could muster over a rod to scales is 11kg.
Dayne, I would seriously look at the new Sargosa if you haven't finalised your purchase, it has a slightly faster retrieve for popping, Paladin gears and has a much better drag system [rated 44lb to the Spheros 24lb], it's on my shopping list.

Greg 'FFF' Burt

Simon Thomas

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
June 13, 2008, 10:56:27 AM
As a matter of interest there were three Monster Mesh rods busted (2 jigging and 1 popping stick) on my recent trip to Marion.  I wasn't on the boat when they busted so can't comment on the fighting technique the guys used (2 blokes snapped the 3 rods).  However when looking at them on the big boat later, the 100lb braid was definitely more than the rods were rated at - I think they were PE6 rods.

Simon

Dayne J-W

June 16, 2008, 03:51:31 PM
Thanks for the info guys,
I was just worried about the 80lb lines shockload and if it may be shocked into breaking at less than the setup can handle but by the sounds of it 80lb should be fine especially after what you said about the monstermesh rods breaking on your last trip Simon :-\ that has started to get me a little uneasy about the rod hopefully it was the anglers poor ability to handle the stick and not the stick itself.

Has anyone else had a problem with these rods strength?