Gerhard Delport

• Fusilier
  • Spinaholic
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
How important is travel insurance?
March 16, 2014, 02:35:29 PM
With my first dedicated popping and jigging trip coming up in September with Ocean Blue, traveling almost half way around the world...

I would appreciate it if the experienced traveling anglers here on the forum point out the Pro's and Con's of travel insurance...

What to insure and what not..

Dan Hanon

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Re: How important is travel insurance?
March 16, 2014, 03:15:24 PM
Travel insurance is a must, if only for the medical evacuation coverage.  To get an idea of plans and benefits, go to Travel Guard's website and browse.  For about $300, you can get a plan that covers medical evacuation, equipment loss/damage, and trip costs, should the trip be cancelled due to natural disaster and your money isn't refundable.  I would definitely make sure your rods, equipment and luggage are covered!  My friend has been happy using American Express for trip insurance.

Alex Jordan

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
April 10, 2014, 07:46:22 PM
My home contents insurance covers my gear - had to claim around $3k Aus after a Seychelles trip as my rod tube got broken along with it a couple of rods and lost a load of lures.

For medical I use dogtag.co.uk with offshore medivac cover - expensive but I would rather cover the what if ... A friends dad had a heart attack in Costa Rica and had to be medi vac'd back to florida - mega bucks :(

Gerhard Delport

• Fusilier
  • Spinaholic
  • Liked:
April 10, 2014, 08:31:32 PM
Thanks for the information.

I have invested a lot of money in gear and in the trip and will make sure I am covered.

KyleOsmond

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
April 13, 2014, 01:13:25 PM
Man travel Insurance is invaluable! Especially with how airlines treat gear! I personally wouldn't go without!
Proudly supporting Searing Tackle
~ Distributors of Damiki, Pontoon 21 and Fish Arrow