Jussi Saarinen

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Heavy GT Popping Rod
April 05, 2014, 05:40:57 AM
I am looking for a second heavy (up to PE12) GT rod that is more forgiving (parabolic/new/nano tech) than my old 2006/07 Carpenter Wild Violence 80XH. I would like a rod that is between 7.5 and 8 feet in length and can throw and work heavy (250g) large cup poppers effectively.

The rods I have identified/looked at so far are:

1. Ripple Fisher Final Spirit GT78XH

2. Hots Gipang 77XXXH

3. Carpenter Monster Hunter MH79XH

4. A newer Carpenter Wild Violence 80XH

5. Hammerhead Faube 77H

6. PATRIOT DESIGN World Combat GTZ Black Mafia 76

I would highly appreciate any views on these rods and any recommendations re other alternatives.

/Jussi

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: Heavy GT Popping Rod
April 05, 2014, 11:34:03 AM
Jussi, I think you will struggle to find a rod capable of working poppers to 250 grams that is as forgiving as the WV80XH you already have.

Something like a Ripple Fisher Final Spirit 78XH for example is a very brutal and stiff rod but would be a suitable choice for poppers of that size.

Numbers 2 and 3 on your list will not handle a chugger anything like as big as 250 grams.

I wonder why you are looking to use poppers that big?  There are hardly any of that size available anyway?
Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 02:28:04 PM by Mark Harris

Jussi Saarinen

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 05, 2014, 07:17:38 PM
Mark, sorry, I should have written "up to" 250 g. I am looking for a rod that can handle big chuggers in the 200-250 g range, fully rigged. I am curious if there are any rods that can handle these lures that are a bit more parabolic/forgiving on the angler than my old WV80XH without sacrificing too much in casting distance (hence 7.5'' plus). I already have a RP300, which does the job but at 7.2'' in length, it does it at a price. Fully aware that shorter rods will mean shorter casts but would be interested in hearing views also on casting distance, when comparing rods of equal/similar (+/- 1'') length.

/Jussi

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 05, 2014, 07:38:13 PM
For 200-250 you can still rule out options 2 and 3 on your list.

Option 1. Will handle it.

I would imagine  the Faube and the Black Devil also would but they are not rods I have seen much of.

An 8 foot rod which would handle chuggers this size is the Ripple Fisher Infinity 80. But that is out of production. I have one and it is a beast but a bit more manageable than a Final Spirit GT78XH.

Christoffer Hansen

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
April 05, 2014, 09:44:26 PM
Jussi,

A forgiving rod is rubbish for working big poppers period! Either man up and buy a broomstick or fish large stick baits, pencils and small poppers with a rod you can manage. You can still raise big fish with large profile stick baits and pencil poppers.

Chris

Jussi Saarinen

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 06, 2014, 12:49:05 AM
Chris, "man up" - I love it! LOL

As stated, I have a WV80XH that I use to throw the big boys. However, given that is close to ten years since I bought the rod, I was just wondering if there is a rod that can get the job done but is somewhat more forgiving on the angler. A rod that utilizes the development in nano technology and new blank materials during the last five to ten years. I would be surprised if the answer to that question is no.

/Jussi

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 06, 2014, 01:06:38 AM
Jussi

Carpenter UPL 75/45 but one must wait for this regular rod version of KLL 75/45 , may be later this year or early next year .

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 06, 2014, 02:00:18 AM
Like Chris, I suspect the answer to your question is actually no Jussi. If you think about it, a rod that works 200-250 gram poppers has to be stiff by its very nature.

Now you might find rods lighter in weight than an old style WV or SP, but I do not see how they can be less stiff and still work a massive chugger efficiently.

You could just wimp out like me most of the time and not use any poppers bigger than 190 grams :) . You can then get away with a modern, parabolic XH type rod like Monster Hunter 79 XH.  Having recently seen the Temple Reef Reefer 76-12 in action a lot, that one would fit into this category also.
Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 02:05:15 AM by Mark Harris

Jussi Saarinen

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 06, 2014, 02:07:39 AM
Thx Jon. Seems like there are some interesting heavy rods in the making - Temple Reef Big Bertie, Carpenter UPL 75/45, rewamp of Ripple Fisher etc.

Mark, I refuse to wimp out, although that is probably where I will end up eventually  :). In the mean time, I am planning to get fit (again) to be able to tackle these brutes. My second largest S. Oman GT, the 51 kg that I hooked minutes after having landed another 30kg+, that was foul hooked and had me crying like a baby some 5-10 min into the fight and eventually forced me to hand over the rod for the first time in my life, really got me motivated >:(
Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 02:19:50 AM by Jussi Saarinen

Christoffer Hansen

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
April 06, 2014, 09:12:27 AM
Hi Jussi,

Good to hear your having go!  The ripple xh and the pd black mafia are both excellent large popper rods. Both take a lot of effort to use and cast. The mafia is a bit nicer to fight fish with being a little shorter and the tip of the rod has a little give. I have this rod myself and use gt3 ultra cups, pd masterd bomb big cup 220 and stickbaits over 250g no rigging.

Chris

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 06, 2014, 10:40:06 AM
The best of luck to you Jussi.

Fishing for truly large GTs like the 51 kg fish you mention using a stiff large popper rod is whole new degree of physicality from that you experienced when handing the rod over. The strength and fitness program will need to be pretty extreme :)

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 06, 2014, 12:54:33 PM
I let this thread run for a bit waiting to see if someone might suggest a BLC. After all, I've found out in the past few days that it is a GT killing machine and that it can handle 150g poppers!  ;D

The concept of a forgiving rod for really big poppers is a pipe dream. Whatever forgiveness there is in the rod will translate into saturation of the blank when you are popping - plain and simple.

A WV80 is not suitable for giant poppers - it saturates too much.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 06, 2014, 01:26:51 PM
LOL @ the ongoing BLC stuff :) .

Nathan Tsao

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
April 06, 2014, 03:51:37 PM
Patriot Design Zanzibar 82. Very fun rod!
8'2" fits your casting length desires + all the hurt you can put and take!!! 

Mick Cunningham

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
April 06, 2014, 04:06:06 PM
How about the carpenter SP78EXH will this fit to his list as No.7 ??

as I haven't tried the 200-250g range popper on the EXH rod yet ..

as I am keen to try the 190g Craftbait popper on it

I know that the UHL is a Broomstick so thought maybe EXH will do the job ?