Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: sea frog
June 27, 2008, 07:19:16 PM
Rohit, the Roostas are a good popper for the price but they do not cast as well as a good wooden popper. They're great value for the price and they work well too

they're good for anything that wants to eat a big popper
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Rohit Saqa Lal

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
June 28, 2008, 01:44:24 AM
Thanks for the info Brandon, would you also recomend upgrading the hardware on these or are the factory jobs fine

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 28, 2008, 12:50:51 PM
To me, the hardware on the Roostas is not that bad and certainly not as bad as has become the reputation. The VMC hooks are okay and their split rings acceptable. It seems to have almost become folklore now that you must change the trebles to Owners. Well, if you go for a ST-66 Owner, I really don't think these are that much stronger than the VMCs.

It depends on what you are fishing for. If you're primarily fishing for GTs from 10 -15kgs, I think that by and large, you will probably get by on the VMCs. If you get a fish that will completely open a VMC, then i think that fish will probably compromise a ST-66 as well, albeit not to the same extent.

On the other hand, if you're looking at chasing BIG fish, then I personally believe you're better off going to a strong single hook for a Roosta or a Baker rig. The problem with the Roosta is that if you whack on a pair of ST-76 5/0a, it just gets a little unbalanced as the hooks are too heavy.

I personally do not believe the Roostas are suitable for big GTs. For these, go for a strongly constructed wooden popper.

Rohit Saqa Lal

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
June 28, 2008, 02:35:51 PM
Thanks mate

Geoff

July 07, 2008, 10:21:52 PM
brandon, Halco only use Mustads. The new plating on Mustads looks like what VMC use, but they're still Mustads and are typically blunt and have too big a barb.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 08, 2008, 06:55:18 AM
Geoff - thanks for that. They sure look like VMCs!
That said, I've still seen their hardware stand up reasonably.
I suppose the point I am making is don't go running out to make a $20 lure into a $30 lure unless you need to.

Aaron Concord

July 15, 2008, 10:49:24 AM
If Eddie "I got emphsema" Kazzama can work a popper with his peak physical fitness, you know they got to be easy to work AND catch fish.
Once he's done 10 casts, he needs to sit down to have a smoke and 'catch his breath'  :)
I think he's the sole reason why they are hard to get! He bought them all...he's got as he says 'enough for a while'. ;D
He gave me 2 120 VP-Z's...one that caught my first 30+ kg GT in 2003. It's the model with the alloy 'reverse cup' on the arse end to improve stability and make a smoke trail better than Eddie!
I won't fish them...too scared to lose something that I can't replace  >:(
Just the paintwork Kenji Konishi has done on them makes my Pajero 4WD look really sick!!!!!!
They are great..they are dear..they are hard to find.
Cubera's and the 'original' Jai's are hard to beat for tracking down a cheaper, more availble option.
Cheap & good...99% of the time it just doesn't go in the same sentence!

Angus Hulme

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
July 15, 2008, 12:15:31 PM
Aaron, got any pics of these 120 VP-Z lures you mention?  :-\ Would be a great help to me, as I sort out which shapes are proven performers.

Aaron Concord

July 15, 2008, 01:25:19 PM
Angus,
I should have...I'll need to dig through the 'archive'...I know I took images of "the Kazzama's" 3 Fisherman bags full of them, in 120mm, 160 and I think there were some 180's...they were definete Sea Frogs and larger than the 160's.
If not, I have to do some photos of other stuff today so I can add the 2 120's I have to the list & upload them for you.
Eddie loved the 120's when casting on his "blue rod", it is a Fisherman that's similar to a LR89 Carpenter. It pinged the 120's outta sight for a 50 a day smoker like Eddie!!!
The lure size worked great with a single treble on the belly and a 'blade' fluttering off the bum. He got some nice G's over 50 to eat these things and landed G's to 35...I'm still spilt if his name should be 'Eddie Karma' or the 'Eddie Lama'....good things happen to this man when fishing!
Aaron.

Chris Young

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
July 15, 2008, 04:58:33 PM
Aaron....surely you could find something better to compare the finish than your Pajero  ??? bwahaha-HAHAHA ;D

Aaron Concord

July 15, 2008, 10:36:58 PM
Chris,
If I had a Ferrari, then my 'pay bracket' would be high enough not to give a toss about paying $100+ for poppers & stickbaits!!!!!!!!!!
I wouldn't be thinking of hitting poppers with automotive 2 pac just to keep them afloat a little longer....sigh....
Yeah, ya got me...the 'Paj' has more rust marks than ever after the last Fraser Island trip!
How are your creations going??
I'm on a mission to go to Cooktown to fish the Ribbons for Black Marlin in November. The beauty of 'up there' is the popper & stick bait fishing you can do until the arvo billie bite....got a metre long stick bait I can cast at a black??
Or maybe a 400mm Sea Frog...?? Need some 'field testing' done  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Aaron Concord

July 21, 2008, 06:00:22 PM
Hi Angus & Chris,

Here are some pics of the Carpenter Sea Frog 120 I tried to get to you last week, showing the profiles & the cup shape.

Note the alloy 'C' cup on the arse end of the popper. Seems to hold it better in the drink & with the little v cut into the very top of it, produces a nice smoke trail too!

Hope this helps

Aaron.

Angus Hulme

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
July 22, 2008, 11:25:31 AM
Thanks for those pics Aaron, can you tell me what is the purpose of the tow point not being in the centre of the lure? Does this create a slightly different action to most poppers that have an exactly central tow point?

Also, does the metal blade on the rear act as a flashing substitute for a rear hook, or do you fit a rear hook in addition to the metal blade?

Cheers
Angus

Aaron Concord

July 22, 2008, 10:10:30 PM
Angus,

Theoretically, the lower the tow point the harder the lure should pop.
On these lures, with the balance that Kenji Konishi wanted, that's exactly what they do, without the need for a mega-scoop for a 'mouth'.

The metal blade is used as an attractor.
The size of a 120mm popper means a single decent treble or 'Baker Rig' on the belly is enough hook. They get swallowed pretty easily!
The blade also helps in keeping the bum of the lure in the water since it resists the water as it spins....GT's and spaniards love it like this.

The one belly hook also means less stuffing around when de-hooking a nice G.

Ewan Macleod

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
August 24, 2008, 09:22:53 PM
I'd love to know what is it that makes these lures so lethal. The Carp made live baits look deadly as well but seem to be equally unavailable. Seems that its the combination of shape, size and the attractor. Definately look bite size, would be nasty for a spainaryd or a hoo to swallow it and give you the nip.