Trevor Williams

• Fusilier
  • aka The Rod Baron
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
sea frog
June 26, 2008, 06:33:44 PM
Anyone know where I can get a couple of carpenter Sea Frog poppers?. I tried one courtesy of the charter operator and while it took a little more effort to get it to work - it was lethal on GTs.
I tried my usual Japanese suppliers and none have stock.
????

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: sea frog
June 26, 2008, 07:12:36 PM
Trevor, this one is a bit of a "forget it".

If I had seen an operator with them, I would have tried to buy them off him.

Unless you have contacts in the tackle industry there, you've got almost no hope of getting these.

On the very rare occasion when one turns up, they're priced over well over $100.

Good luck - you'll need it to get Sea Frogs as well as a big wallet.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Mick Cunningham

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
June 26, 2008, 07:41:10 PM
can some one show me what sea frog popper
look like as i want to see what it look like  ....

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 26, 2008, 07:45:36 PM
can some one show me what sea frog popper
look like as i want to see what it look like  ....

I was just about to ask the same question ???
Set the ray to GeeT

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
June 26, 2008, 08:07:08 PM
Anyone know where I can get a couple of carpenter Sea Frog poppers?. I tried one courtesy of the charter operator and while it took a little more effort to get it to work - it was lethal on GTs.
????

Effort to work - what kind of other poppers were you using on your Fiji trip? Sea Frogs should be pretty easy to get good action/bloop.

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 26, 2008, 11:33:26 PM
Carpenter Sea Frogs 3rd and 4th from the right I believe, Brandon please confirm, I just searched on the web and found this pic. Craft 'bigmouth' or Heru 'Cubera' to name 2 should make a similar splash I would think. Potential substitutes for a good workout???
Set the ray to GeeT

Trevor Williams

• Fusilier
  • aka The Rod Baron
  • Liked:
June 27, 2008, 06:11:36 AM
????

Effort to work - what kind of other poppers were you using on your Fiji trip? Sea Frogs should be pretty easy to get good action/bloop.
Sea frog - once we learned how to work it  - lethal.
Halco haymaker roosta  -- very easy to use , esp for beginners and caught most fish (it was the most used )
cubera  - had a bit more trouble but once we got used to it ,almost as good as sea frog- just not the same bite reaction for some reason.
the other lures were more pencil type but also caught fish.They were less effort to use but spent less time in the target water.
A stickbait style that was very effective was one of the Operator's: a clear resin skinny stickbait , front weighted and with holographs embedded in the resin. About 150mm long.Hand made by some bloke in Hawaii. We offered to buy from the operator but they were not for sale at any price.
So Many Lures on the market to try......
and I thought Jigging was expensive!!!! :o

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
June 27, 2008, 09:40:21 AM
????

Sea frog - once we learned how to work it  - lethal.
Halco haymaker roosta  -- very easy to use , esp for beginners and caught most fish (it was the most used )
cubera  - had a bit more trouble but once we got used to it ,almost as good as sea frog- just not the same bite reaction for some reason.
the other lures were more pencil type but also caught fish.They were less effort to use but spent less time in the target water.
A stickbait style that was very effective was one of the Operator's: a clear resin skinny stickbait , front weighted and with holographs embedded in the resin. About 150mm long.Hand made by some bloke in Hawaii. We offered to buy from the operator but they were not for sale at any price.
So Many Lures on the market to try......
and I thought Jigging was expensive!!!! :o

If you're after a clear resin popper style lure with holographic inserts check out the kokoda roger lure - comes in a 150mm size.  I have one and from memory it has a full through wire construction (don't hold me 100% to that though. 

It's sinking (as you'd expect from 100% resin) but it does look pretty good, yet to give mine a run.  And even better - it costs about $10 to $15  :) You'll need to upgrade the hardware but the rest of it looks tough enough to handle the job.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 27, 2008, 10:41:26 AM
I can't see most photos on the site as a result of some bug
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
June 27, 2008, 10:59:49 AM
http://www.kokodafishing.com.au/catalogue/bluewater-lures/roger-topwater-popper.aspx

there's a link if you want to check it out Brandon.  The pictures are working ok for me at the moment?

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 27, 2008, 12:43:17 PM
I can't see most photos on the site as a result of some bug

Hi Mate, you haven't got the bug again have you ;D ;)
Greg 'FFF' Burt

DarrenC

June 27, 2008, 03:50:43 PM
Similar poppers which'll work as well as the Sea Frog would include Fisherman S-pop (complete with spinner-blades) and Craftbait GT-3 - all just as expensive but a lil' easier to procure!

Sea Frogs and S-pops date back, but today i think the GT-3 is the new benchmark!

Good luck!

Trevor Williams

• Fusilier
  • aka The Rod Baron
  • Liked:
June 27, 2008, 06:10:47 PM
I know this is a dumb question but: Is there anything good but CHEAP!

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 27, 2008, 06:45:48 PM
I know this is a dumb question but: Is there anything good but CHEAP!

In my oppinion, the best value for money quality poppers that are readily available are the nomad/black jack range.

Rohit Saqa Lal

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
June 27, 2008, 07:14:55 PM
Pardon the hijack.....how do you guys rate the rooster poppers? Are they worth getting? Do they suit any particular species?