Chris Webster

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
DSLR - What's everyone using?
July 26, 2014, 07:12:22 PM
Hi all,

I know there have been camera threads before, but the camera scene changes constantly.

What body and lenses are everyone using currently.

Cheers,

CW

Jason Haack

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: DSLR - What's everyone using?
July 28, 2014, 09:33:45 PM
I'm using gear on the budget end as I can't justify the spend on top of line bodies and lenses.
Canon 60D with the Canon EF-S 10-22mm wide angle zoom, takes great pics and I reckon it's the best bang for buck combo.
The lens has a great depth of field and brings great detail. Couple of pics I took of Brad Bell attached and one of his poppers from last Sundays session in the Dampier Archipelago and one taken of a fish caught a few months back by yours truly.

Cheers

Jason.

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
July 28, 2014, 10:32:00 PM
There are loads of new cameras out there, DSLR and the new mirrorless cameras. I use both types, but for most of my photos along the coast and surf I use a camera thats weatherproof.  DSLRS that are weather sealed or mirrorless ones can be found, and just depends on your budget. And if you get a weathersealed body, match it to a weather sealed lens and then you are set. e.g Pentax DSLRs, Olympus OMD, Fuji XT1, and Im sure Canon/Nikon have some as well. Worth getting one thats weather sealed as you never know when you will get soaked and salt water isnt the best for camera longevity.

Lens wise - wide angles can give distortion up close on people, so a zoom that is moderately wide to normal wide will help .

Jason Haack

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 28, 2014, 11:35:55 PM
Forgot to mention the 'crop factor' of the 60D and other budget DSLR's. The 60D is x 1.6 (due to sensor size) which makes the 10-22mm lens a 16-35.2mm lens which is great for fish pics.
I have plenty of other canon mid priced zooms in the +24mm to 200mm range that won't break the budget which also perform well giving more compressed pics.
I'm also biased as I only use Canon gear so test all and i'm sure with a bit of research you'll find something that suits.

David Noble

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
July 29, 2014, 11:28:08 AM
Great shots Jason.

The Fuji XT1 looks very cool. I'd lean towards that if I didn't shoot kids, surfers and other fast moving targets. (and low light)
Nikon crop for me for now + good glass.
Waiting to see what Photokina announce in Sept.

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 29, 2014, 12:04:44 PM
At the moment I am using a Nikon D600 which has been superseded by the D610.

It is an entry level full frame DSLR and good value for money for someone who wants to upgrade from an APS-C sensor DSLR.

It seemed to perform better than the Canon equivalent (6D) in a lot of comparisons when they were first released.

For fishing photography I have been using a Nikon 17-35mm f2.8 which I like as it is a wide angle but don't noticed any really bad distortion.

Robert Woll

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 29, 2014, 05:16:21 PM
When you chose a DSLR for yourself I suggest you follow the following advice:

1. Chose a Nikon or Canon DSLR. In fact, most current DSLRs camera bodies don't make a huge difference (within a certain price range) but the selection of lenses make a difference and Nikon and Canon just have the best lens lineups.

2. Consider what your good friends and family are using. They can teach you the different shooting modes and maybe borrow you one of their lenses.

3. Start with an entry level crop (i.e. not a full frame) camera body. Don't spend to much here. The sensor technology changes so quickly, in 2 years you will get a much better body anyway. The entry level cameras are also easier to use for beginners (consider your family for example).

4. Invest into good lenses. A good lens will still be a good lens in 10 years (and it has better resale value). If you opt for Canon, take into consideration that some entry level lenses do not fit onto the full frame cameras but one day you will probably want to go full frame. So consider buying the more expensive full-frame-ready lenses.

5. If you search for good lenses, check these sites:
- photozone.de
- lenstip.com
- slrgear.com

Finally, it's been said before: if you want a fish to look much bigger on a photo than it actually is, then
- use a wide angle lens
- get very close to the fish (with the fisherman behind the fish)
- and ask the fisherman to hold the fish as far as possible in front of him.
But you'll see: it's a narrow line between a great pic and one that looks wierdly distorted and unnatural.

Dave Huck

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 29, 2014, 08:23:05 PM
I use a Canon 7D and I've been really impressed with its weatherproofing. It's been dunked once (in a case but saltwater got in...) , then sluiced with freshwater and regularly gets salt spray all over it. My only criticism would be that it 's a heavy piece of kit, particularly with extra lenses. The flexibility and high fps rate make up for that though.

Cheers
Dave

Cameron Mundy

• Red Bass
  • Gamefishing Asia Captain
  • Liked:
July 30, 2014, 03:49:01 AM
I use a Cannon 7D wich is way to advanced for me but a nifty piece of gear lense wise I use a sigma and Cannonn saving towards my L series Zoom I use this site http://www.kenrockwell.com/ before buying any camera gear it has been a good resource for me.

Alex Jordan

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
July 30, 2014, 03:53:18 AM
The wife is a pro photographer - Nikkor lenses and D700's ... tried and trusted FX kit (apparently!) she does outdoor family and pet photography so the kit gets wet, knocked around, dropped ... no saltyness tho!

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 30, 2014, 04:17:22 PM
Olympus OMD E-M1 + 12~40/2.8 Pro lens , moisture n dust proof but if video is the main menu , Lumix GH4 + 12~35/2.8 X lens .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Titahi brown

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 30, 2014, 08:19:57 PM
very Similar to Cameron I brought a 7D after having had an entry level Cannon, that made a great present for my GF :) I use a 10-22mm wide angle for fishing shots or a 50mm cause its compact and rockwell recommended it. The one addition not mentioned here is a Ortlieb waterproof camera bag to reduce exposure to salt spray and provide some impact protection when travelling to and from spots.

Andrew Smith

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 31, 2014, 09:48:52 AM
Still running an old old old Canon 50D that just keeps going... It has been a loyal servant for many years. Overdue for an upgrade now though! Running a Tokina 12-28 f4 which is surprisingly nice lens and great value for money and a canon 70-200 f2.8 pro series. Have a couple of other lenses but they don't make fishing trips often.

Norbert Haider

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
July 31, 2014, 08:13:55 PM
I had a Nikon D80 with Nikon 18-200 and 35mm lenses. Sold it cause it was too bulky. Now I have Fuji XE-1 with 18-55XF and soon a Fuji 10-24XF will be mine.
Love the XE-1.

Tom Doyle

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
November 04, 2014, 10:52:07 PM
Great shots Jason!

I run a Canon 7d and  17-40mm canon L series good width with no distortion it's just annoying that mate never know how to use it when I need  a snap haha.

What flash's  are you guys running?