Anton Haakman

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Advice on land based GT rod
October 21, 2014, 08:46:59 PM
Another rod to throw into this mix is the Majorcraft KG Evolution Shore Jigging rod 10ft HH.

There was a report by Blaasoppie - Mark - on a trip to St Francis where he tested two of these rods with Dennis Swannell. The report is on 360Tuna. Dennis loved them and he know a fair amount about fishing.

If I recall Mark's comment it was something to the effect that he thought the rod should have no difficulty handling a GT of 30-40kg.

There is the added bonus that they are very well priced.

Felix Lux

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 21, 2014, 11:10:19 PM
Felix,

Start casting a plug and spoon with the OH gear and you will soon have enough casting practise... lol

You can not compare 20lb mono with 30lb braid.

Braid will win everytine.

If I could choose...

I would probably load with 60lb JB Hollow and splice in a 10m 100lb JH Hollow "leader" and then a nylon leader of roughly double the length of the rod.

This would give you all the power and line capacity to handle some big fish on the OH gear...

But you need to determine what species and size fish you will be targeting.

If its fish like queen's and spanish mackerel i would go 40lb with 80lb leader in JB Hollow.

The seceret is to have a balanced outfit for what you want to target.

Hope this helps.

Helps quite a lot Gerhard, legend!

Casting metal jigs with it, like Spanyid Raiders and similar. For casting plugs hmmmm...unless it's a stable flying plug like a GT ice cream or pencil popper I wouldn't even think about it and go straight to my trusty spinning reel gear haha! Just doing this to broaden my horizon a bit and have fun. Although I do think for some situations and types of fishing there can be advantages in using overhead gear.
And I want to get good at it of course, otherwise no point. Will try braid next season for sure.

Target species would be Longtail Tuna, Kingfish (yellowtail) and sometimes Spanish Mackerel, so basically 40lb mainline is more than enough except for the larger kingfish that will burry you, but I've got heavy spin gear for them.

Re the Majorcraft KG Evolution series I can attest to them being nice rods, unbeatable value for money. A friend of mine had the HH, but I never casted that one, so can't tell how strong it is. Probably similar to the heavy Yamaga Blue Sniper Shore Jigging Anton?

IggiJacques

December 27, 2016, 05:56:57 AM
Assassin sierra 2xh and assassin spinmaster 2xh both good rods for shore distance. We fish sierra 2xh on gosa 10k 50lbs braid. 100lbs casting braid leader about two rod lengths. 1.5 meters 1mm mono leader to swivel split ring. These rods beasts for distance and power. I love em

Brian Haybittle

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
March 25, 2017, 06:04:11 AM
Any experience with Hamachi Gt and Doggie rods? I got a 10ft three piece to travel with. Seems nice and heavy. Going to pair up with a cheap daiwa Nero 6500 (ordered line roller bearing and carbon drag)
I want to cast poppers and stickbait from shore for GTs while in Samoa and Raro. Then stickbait while in NZ for Kingis
Also occasionally to cast big break our sinkers for slide baiting for kingfish.

I see they are sold from Perth. Will keep you updated

Greg Callan

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
May 10, 2017, 08:33:09 AM
Have a look at the Tenryu Powermaster I have 9'6" Heavy core  teamed with Stella 14000 Pe 5 Varivas.SMP cast 60 g Shimano Ocea pencils 75m and DAIWA TG BAITS [tungsten jig] 90m rod loads easy and casts without hurting you at the end of a session

Samuel Shaw

• Phytoplankton
  • work fish work fish
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: Advice on land based GT ro
September 02, 2017, 08:46:51 AM
I'm a strictly land based GT/Ulua fisherman here in Hawaii.
For popping/stickbait I use 2 poles. The Tsunami Airwave Elite is a 11' two peice pole rated 20-40lb (I use 60lb hollow core braid) Lure rating 1.5-4.5 oz
I have landed 40 lb with this rod. Can handle a bigger fish easily. About 250.00 when I bought it.
This rod surprised me

When I want to lock my drag down my favorite rod is the CTS GT Fight 11'0'' 60lb-80lb / up to 4oz lures
I use 100lb hollow Core on this set up. Picked up for about 400

Both are hooked with a Stella Sw 10000. Powerpro Hollow Core. Served connection to 100-150lb flouro