Troy Hausler

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
leaders,knots and braid.
October 26, 2014, 12:06:50 PM
G'day guys bit of a newby post... I've had a of a look around and can't find the info I want so here goes!

Firstly im wondering what length mono leader people use? How far above your reel does it start or do you wind on? I've been using the "fg" knot directly to my leader which is starting a little above the first guide.

I'm gradually building up my line weight and am running into problems with wind knots, (line is wrapping around the rod between the tip and second guide) the braid I was sold (some Japanese stuff) is almost to silky Comparing it to the the suffix pro on my light rod if that makes sense. I'm having more problems with 40lb braid than I've had with my light flick rod which is driving me crazy! Recommendations on braid? I'm looking at power pro...

Lasty a bit of a big ask but what would you guys recommend lure wise for GTs around the 10-15kg mark land based.

Love the page lots of knowledge, apologys if I've posted in the wrong area.  :)

Cheers

Troy

Felix Lux

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Re: leaders,knots and braid.
October 26, 2014, 04:18:18 PM
I'm fishing for kings and tuna, so can't help you with the GT specific stuff.

As far the wind knots and tip wraps go, it can have a number of reasons. 1 or more out of the following:

1. Your reel might be overspooled.
2. Line might not have been spooled correctly or not layed correctly by the reel (adjust with little spool shaft shims that come with the reel). Shim(s) out when the braid is more layed towards the bottom of the spool and vise versa. Braid should lay even or very very slightly towards the spool lip, to avoid wind knots.
3. Your FG knot is too bulky/long.
4. Tip guides are too small to accommodate knots in heavier leaders.
5. Guide spacing of the rod isn't very well designed. Depending on taper, action, guide train etc. the last guide(s) before the tip need to be closer together in order from preventing tip wraps.
6. Your casting style.
7. Crappy braid.

And probably a few more reasons that don't come to mind right now.

As for braid, you actually want very silky braid for best casting performance. Power pro imo is average at best. Not the best casting braid and had it randomly snapping. For an affordable decent quality braid for casting, I'd recommend JB Solid, Daiwa Saltiga Boat Braid, SAS (Tasline) and maybe Tufline. You can't remember what braid your reel is spooled with?

Gerhard Delport

• Fusilier
  • Spinaholic
  • Liked:
October 26, 2014, 05:00:00 PM
40lb Power Pro or JB Solid followed by Suffix 832 is my choice in 40lb class.

I use the FG knot as well.

My knot does not enter my rod guides.

I hate the sound of knots running trough my guides.

Troy Hausler

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
October 26, 2014, 08:57:30 PM
Thanks a lot for both of those replys both helpful especially the bit about tip wraps, I'll try a few of those things differently and see how it goes! May possibly be over spooled.

Anymore on leader and lure selection for that weight class? What size should I be looking for? I'm thinking a few mid sized stickbaits... Can anyone recommended any?

Gerhard Delport

• Fusilier
  • Spinaholic
  • Liked:
October 26, 2014, 11:27:27 PM
Look at stickbaits in the 90g class.

Choices depends on your wallet

Cameron Mundy

• Red Bass
  • Gamefishing Asia Captain
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
November 02, 2014, 04:22:01 PM
Hi Troy
Tip wraps are pretty common on FG & PR knots when casting the knot through the guides. I think what happens is the little bulb you burn on the leader causes it slow down as it rattles through the guides and the lighter braid starts to "overtake" the leader causing a loop, the loop is then pulled tight once everything has cleared the last guide, wrapping the tip of the rod. Giving the butt of the rod a hard whack will sometimes shake it loose mid cast, it doesn't always work but when it does you look pretty slick lol.

Personally I'm not a big fan of casting Knots through guides but some guys swear by it.