Craig Maree

• Red Bass
  • Release the GT
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Having fished the islands of SO I am wondering why no GT's are caught from the mainland and or closer to shore of the mainland.

Are there no areas where you can target them from the mainland, especially considering how good the mainland inshore fishing is, which shows that there is bait / food supply for these inshore fish.

Yes one could understand that the numbers might not be as good as the islands but no GT's at all is strange.

Is this due to fishing pressure from the local fisherman? 

What are the reasons, we are not talking a huge distance between the mainland and islands?

Any thoughts?

Atoll Hunter GT Popping
www.facebook.com/atollhunter

Trevor Skinner

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
There are places in Southern Oman where, at certain times of the year, GTs come into the reefs closer to the mainland.

However, as you say, local fisherman pretty much decimate them once they arrive. Most of the time by netting since the fish congregate in small areas.

In Musandam, Northern Oman, GTs are caught in close. The local fisherman tend to leave them alone though (although not always) because they tend to use hand lines and set lines for more desirable eating fish like dorado, tuna and spanish mackerel.

Regards,

Trev 
Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 01:33:29 PM by Trevor Skinner

Craig Maree

• Red Bass
  • Release the GT
  • Liked:
Thanks Trev

Would love some info on the No Boundaries tagging program of how many fish tagged todate and how many recaptures.
Atoll Hunter GT Popping
www.facebook.com/atollhunter

Trevor Skinner

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Craig,

Ed's on top of all that, I'm not sure of the details but last March we caught a tagged fish while fishing with Luke but I don't think there's been many. I'm not sure what you can read into that though.

Ed and Andrew Smith also put satellite tags into a couple of fish earlier this year and got results from both fish. Again, not sure of the details.

Regards,

Trev